AMD 64 X2 4200+ OC'ing Worklog

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Computer Setup:
  • A-Top Gladiator Mid-Tower ATX Case
  • Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 Rev 2.0
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ~2.2 GHZ (Windsor)
  • Ninja Plus Rev B Heatsink with an Antec Tri-Cool fan
  • OCZ 2GB PC-6400 DDR2
  • EVGA 8800 GTS 320 MB
  • Maxtor 250.1GB Harddrive
  • 80 MM Intake Fan
  • 120 MM Scythe Exhaust Fan

To Do List:
Add Screenies (CPUZ, Orthos)
Upload DXDIAG.txt

9/20/07

NEW::

Been trying to get to 2.8, but it won't post? How can I fix that? I'm pretty sure RAM overheating causes BSODS so I underclocked from 533 to 400 and it didn't BSOD on startup (it did on 533) but it doesn't post, just restarts once it gets past the first post screen

I raised the VCORE from 1.375 (bios) to 1.45 (bios) just to try to get it to boot, but no go, raise the vcore more?

Starting a little worklog so I can get some help oc'ing my AMD 64 X2 4200+ and to help other people out.

I'm currently running it at 2700 MHZ with a 270 HTT, 10x Multi

Ram is running at 533 MHZ + HTT with 6-6-6-15 timings (is that possible? I'll check what it actually is later)

Currently running orthos to make sure its stable and I've got 56-58 C load temperatures and 37-40 C Idle

Luckily, the proccesor still works even though I had accidentally bent the pins... learn from my mistake and let the thermal paste and CPU cool before trying to wrench off the heatsink... My proccessor ripped clean off of the socket even though the bar hadn't been pulled up...

ORTHOS2700MHZ.jpg

I'm trying to reach 3 GHZ just to break that mark, its probably not possible with my current cooling setup, but I'll go for it anyways

raise the multi back to 11.
lowering it to 10 jacks your ram speed all up.
you wil be lucky to get 3ghz. (its not your cooling its the windsor).
i could pull 2.9 w/my 4200 but it didnt like it. i couldnt make 3 and i tried tried tried.
6-6-6-15 is possible. for sure.

good luck getting to 3ghz on a windsor...

ram should be at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1 V cpu/9 divider

good luck getting to 3ghz on a windsor...

ram should be at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1 V cpu/9 divider

cpu/9 divider?

eh, I got up to around 2744 MHZ, but I can't get it stable without the temps going through the roof

I'll raise the multi back to 11, still running my ram at 400 MHZ, so the multi shouldn't be a problem

good luck cup should be fun, my athlon 3800+ can hit 2.8Ghz before it craps out so your 4200+ X2 should have muc more room

Back when I had my 939 3800+ x2 I had it running @ 2.5ghz stable, but I couldn't go higher and have it stable.

But it was the memory holding me back.

And to the OP- It's probably your memory that's holding you back. I have the OCZ Dual Platinum 2 gigs and it's what's holding my quad core back.

Also, if you have the platinum, it should be 4-4-4-15 stock. But since you're OC'ing you could try 5's and MAYBE 6's, I don't really know why you'd have to run a CAS 6 for that OC though.

Like what was said before, it's probably yout CPU that can't hit 3ghz, not your RAM or mobo.

Back when I had my 939 3800+ x2 I had it running @ 2.5ghz stable, but I couldn't go higher and have it stable.

But it was the memory holding me back.

And to the OP- It's probably your memory that's holding you back. I have the OCZ Dual Platinum 2 gigs and it's what's holding my quad core back.

Also, if you have the platinum, it should be 4-4-4-15 stock. But since you're OC'ing you could try 5's and MAYBE 6's, I don't really know why you'd have to run a CAS 6 for that OC though.

Like what was said before, it's probably yout CPU that can't hit 3ghz, not your RAM or mobo.

yeah, I always leave the ram as slow as possible to let the CPU have more then enough room to operate, I reclock and overclock the ram later on after I find a decent suitable CPU clock and find it stable

I'll be making more attempts tonight to see if I can reach 2.8 stable, and I hope I can

its easy.
lower your ram way below its rated speed and ramp your cpu up to 3ghz. if it will run, it is your ram holding you back. if it wont, its your cpu.

Hmm I can't edit it anymore... but anyways I'm on 2.8 GHZ now!

x11 multiplier, 254 HTT

not rock stable... but temperatures are reaching 70+ so I don't know if I can get it stable

EDIT:

does anyone know anyway I can make it stable without raising the voltage? ram is already at 400 mhz, lowest... so its totally CPU related, impossible without raising vcore or dropping HTT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom