-amd 3500+ Error ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytoosmall

In Runtime
I have an Asus A8n-sli deluxe mobo, and an AMD 3500+. Every time I try to overclock the cpu, either by manually picking the settings, or using the built in NOS AI overclocking that comes with the board, the system becomes very unstable and often crashes. It then will not let me even get back into windows without going into the CMOS and resetting all defaults (which I assume includes clock speeds etc..) It is not a temp. issue because it will happen seconds after I overclock before the temp has time to rise. And I'm not doing anything wrong because even If I use AMD's built in overclocking mechanism the same problem happens. Is the core on the 3500 just terrible with overclocking?? You guys have any suggestions?

Also, I have dual 6800 gt's running in SLI. I use coolbits to overclock them but it is extremely limited. Like 402/1015 is all I can get out of them before they become unstable in games. They will run, but I can see weird pixels or geometric errors in graphics rendering. I hear the term "Unlocking the pipelines" often. Am I already doing that by using coolbits or am I missing something.

Thank you to all that respond.

do you know how to overclock, or are you taking your best guess from what you've heard? I suggest doing more research.

Ryan

That is why I included the fact that the built in overclocking also crashes. I assume the people at ASUS know how to overclock their own equipment. Hence, I wandered whether the core of the 3500 was just not good for overclocking....

It is an antec truepower 550. Thought it was a top notch PSU...
So no one has heard that this core just sucks at overclocking???

Venice cores completely rock at overclocking, so that's more than likely not the problem. Most people get 600mhz out of it every time.

Ryan

Alright, I will try to manually overclock again. I have read the FAQ's but is there a specific order, or increment, that you guys believe I should follow? I noticed today that my voltage to the cpu is 1.65v without overclocking. Is that high? Thank you again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom