AM3 PHNM II X3 BE 720 IDLE TEMP 45-50C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
MY phnm II 720 seems to idle 45 - 50C.. and have seen it @ 62C under load, that seems hot to me.. is this normal?

Depends on ambient temps and if you're using stock cooling. If stock, then 40-45 idle would be normal, again depending on ambient temps.
But that sounds ok to me. Maybe a little hot on load.

You only have it overclocked to 3.0? I had those sort of temps around the 3.4 area in this heat with the stock heatsink. (ambient temps around 27c to 28c when my AC was broken.) What do you have the voltage set at? Stock?

What's your ambient temps?

Thx for the reply's, not sure what ambient temps are, I only go off the Everest temps as they seem close to what the MB apps read. and this cpu seems to run hotter than any other that i have ever used.

is it possible that since it's an am2+ board and the cpu is am3.. that could be an issue?

btw it's the same temp in XP x86, Vista x64 and 7 x64. all on the same pc (triple boot)

here is a screen of Everest

24bvxw1.jpg

Hmm. With a stock HSF, 40-45c idle is not normal at that level at all.

As for the AM2+ board with an AM3 chip, if it was making the temps wrong (from what I have seen at least) it would show to be actually ~10 cooler in windows as opposed to hotter. Don't think that's the issue here (I hope, haha).

What kind of case do you have, and is it in a place with decent airflow? I'd also reseat your HSF, or get a new one. Knowing the ambient temps would be good too. :p

Must be in the way the HSF is seated then, either that or you live in a really hot room. I can't see any other reason for it being that hot.

ahh i googled.. and many ppl have the same temp readings.. normal i guess.. I set the speed back to stock (2.8) and re-pasted the CPU, the temps dropped a few degree's (36-42C idle) about 10 degree's

many ppl run the same cpu between 20 and 30C under load and others same problem as me.

but max temp for it is 73C.. lol thats a large window.
from 17C to 73C, that puts me right in the middle
found this.

Processor AMD Phenomtm II X3
Model 720
OPN Tray HDZ720WFK3DGI
OPN PIB HDZ720WFGIBOX
Operating Mode 32 Bit Yes
Operating Mode 64 Bit Yes
Revision C2
Core Speed (MHz) 2800
Voltages 0.850-1.425V
Max Temps (C) 73'C
Wattage 95 W
L1 Cache Size (KB) 128
L1 Cache Count 3
L2 Cache Size (KB) 512
L2 Cache Count 3
L3 Cache Size (KB) 6144
CMOS 45nm SOI
Socket AM3
AMD Business Class No
Black Edition Yes

BTW i use the stock AI OC (10% max) coz I fried a CPU trying to do it manually and this CPU aint cheap.

tried to use the AMD overdrive and it says "AMD OverDrive cannot detect AMD 7 series chipset on this computer" the chipset is 750a SLI.. tried in all 3 OS's same result/error.

That's because it's not an AMD 7 series chipset. ;) It's an nVidia 7 series. They mean 780G and the like.

I really wouldn't use the automatic overclocking, You should be able to overclock it to 3ghz on stock voltage no problem, you wouldn't fry anything.

ahh.. so confusing with all the 7's not to mention running windows 7.. uhm yeah.. I am a retarded NewB when it comes to OC..

I should have my nephew and my son over for "Help Hampton OC party"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom