AM2 New finding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoad

Daemon Poster
I recently noticed something I did not know..

These AM2 models:

4200, 4400, 5000+ are NOT very well if you have DDR2 800Mhz or any other round number of MHz, Why? I'll show you why:

"Here is how the frequency of a CPU and the memory is figured on AMD platforms:

reference clock x multiplier = processor/memory controller speed / divisor = memory DIMM speed

First off, the reference clock is always 200MHz. Raising this number overclocks the entire motherboard and therefore not only voids your AMD warranty, it also will cause instability depending on which component on the motherboard stops functioning first because of the overclock. With that said here's an example:

FX-62 Example:
200MHz (reference clock) x 14 (set by FX-62 CPU) = 2800MHz (CPU and memory controller speed) / 7 = DDR2-PC6400 running @ 400MHz

-or-

X2 4800+ Example:
200MHz (reference clock) x 12 (set by X2 4800+CPU) = 2400MHz (CPU and memory controller speed) / 6 = DDR2-PC6400 running @ 400MHz

Because whole-step multipliers and divisors (as opposed to half-steps like "6.5") are used you'll notice that AMD64 processors run at frequencies that are multiples of 200. You will also note something about the speed at which memory is run. Because DDR2 runs at 400MHz, every other frequency speed isn't evenly divisible by 400. For instance, here is what you get with X2 5000+:

X2 5000+ Example:
200MHz (reference clock) x 13 (set by X2 5000+ CPU) = 2600MHz (CPU and memory controller speed) / 7 = DDR2-PC6400 running @ 371MHz "

Meaning it will downclock your memory by default and might be limited in overclocking.

Source:

http://legitreviews.com/article/347/1/
[Its a little old but I just noticed it..]
-Jo.

Believe it or not it could actually be beneficial when overclocking. Since most overclocks use memory dividers, you'd already be using a "divider" thus increasing memory overclocking headroom at "stock speeds".

lol no that doesn't work that way....... its going to COULD cause stability issues[following a couple of reviews and corsair tech support] and/or performance loss especially in the overclocking.

-Jo.

charles_scott said:
The last two posts I have seen by Yoad appears to be attacks on AMD... Do we have a Conroe fanboy on our hands??? :)

lol? attacks? it aint no attacks I just pointed out to other people that are considering to buy an X2's and a DDR800 memory powerd rig to not get a model that might cause stability issues or performance loss thats all[Read first post to know what im talking about, you obviusly skipped it].

And wtf are you talking about? fanboy? I'm buying a x2 3800 in few days....lol

You rush into conclusions, and you dont even bother to READ, i hate people that attack first and reads afterwards.

-Jo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom