AM2 Cooler... where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOGA said:
I want to get one that disburses the heat better because my rooms gets really hot with my PC on.

It's also loud.

I could be wrong here, but I fail to see how getting a larger cooler will help with computer heating up your room.... As you lower the temperature of the computer, that heat has to go somewhere.... you could underclock it and undervolt it, and it will generate less heat.... you need some AC in your room! :D

I have AC but it stresses it out. Because I also have another PC running and sometimes a 360 and I live in Florida. When the CPU heat is lower the heat that needs to be dispensed is lower too. When its higher, it dispenses heat but its hotter.

A different cooler would also lengthen the life of the CPU, be quieter, look nicer, etc.

NOGA said:
A different cooler would also lengthen the life of the CPU, be quieter, look nicer, etc.

Yes, I am agreeing with you here, HOWEVER.... the only way you will be able to get the computer to stop heating the room is to get the computer to stop generating so much heat.... IE, underclock, undervolt, etc. etc. The heat from the CPU/GPU/whichever heatsink has to go SOMEWHERE.... if you have a larger more effecient heatsink on the CPU, that doesn't mean that the CPU is generating LESS heat, it just means that heat is being more effeciently moved somewhere else.... your room, thus raising the temperature....
Law of conservation of energy

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Yes, I am agreeing with you here, HOWEVER.... the only way you will be able to get the computer to stop heating the room is to get the computer to stop generating so much heat.... IE, underclock, undervolt, etc. etc. The heat from the CPU/GPU/whichever heatsink has to go SOMEWHERE.... if you have a larger more effecient heatsink on the CPU, that doesn't mean that the CPU is generating LESS heat, it just means that heat is being more effeciently moved somewhere else.... your room, thus raising the temperature....
Law of conservation of energy

+1

He's right. The fact that you put a more efficient heat sink on your processor just means it's moving the same amount of heat away from itself more efficiently. the cpu's still kicking out the same heat wattage into the sink, but the sink is getting rid of it faster, thus lowering your cpu temp.

It's the same as turning an electric convector heater on in a room with the window closed, the heater is the cpu, and the air in the room is the heatsink. If you open the window, the heatsink becomes much more efficient (almost infinitely so) thus the temperature of the heater will lower. (Not much, but it will!)

I asked a teacher at my school. Also think about this. The air coming out of the back of the case is hot right now. I know from other projects that when you add a better heat sink, the air coming out of the back is less hot.

It seems to me that if the constant heat of the air coming out is cooler for X amount of time. Rather than that heat coming out hotter for X amount of time that there would be less heat in my room.

Also once I get the heat sink, if it works properly I might gt to prove this.

Well, when you find a cooler that eats hot air and spits out cold air, let me know.

The fact that the fan is blowing cooler air is because the heatsink is doing it's job. The fan moves air across the surface of the heatsink to disperse the warm air around, getting it off the fins. By the time it reaches the fan, it's not as hot as it was when it first touched the heatsink.

CrazeD said:
Well, when you find a cooler that eats hot air and spits out cold air, let me know.

The fact that the fan is blowing cooler air is because the heatsink is doing it's job. The fan moves air across the surface of the heatsink to disperse the warm air around, getting it off the fins. By the time it reaches the fan, it's not as hot as it was when it first touched the heatsink.

.... wait think about what you just said.

What happeneds is that cool air from my room goes into the case. Then blown over the heat sink. Then out the case.

If the heat sink is hotter, then the air that will go over it will be hotter right?

Also keeping it at a lower level and not letting it get to 60C must help also.

You're not looking at it in the right way. The key here is the law of conservation of energy (Thanks Ethereal_Dragon). Energy is never created or destroyed, simply changed from one state to another. So, let's say for example you have a 3.6GHz P4 running at 100% load, that things going to probably produce >100W of heat energy, which will transfer from the processor core to whatever is adjacent to it, be it air (which isn't a very good conductor of heat, so the processor would quickly overheat and either shut itself down or burn out), or a stock aluminium cooler (much better at conducting heat, so takes the heat from the cpu very efficiently), or a zalman crazy copper mega HSF (copper is better at conducting heat than aluminium, so is better again. Silver it the most efficient heat conductor, but it's too expensive to be commercially viable and copper isn't far behind it in the thermal conductivity stakes). No matter what heatsink exists, the CPU STILL produces 100W of heat, and that is transferred away from it into your room!

So, we can look at this whole process in three stages: CPU produces heat - heat transferred to heatsink - heat leaves heatsink and transferred to air inside case.

The Overall CPU temperature is governed by two things:

1. How efficiently the Heatsink (and thermal compound, which is most important, but we won't go into that now!) removes heat from the processor, and

2. How efficiently the heatsink transfers said heat to the air.

The same amount of heat is still being transferred to the air inside your case, which by definition, is also the air inside your room.

What I'm basically saying is this: no matter what heatsink you put on that processor, it witt not affect your room temp because the heat energy is still being trapped in the room. To lower room temps with your PC running you have to either crank the AC up, get a more powerful AC unit, or open a window.

Your teacher's a mule. You will never prove that putting a better HSF on your processor will reduce the amount of heat actually PRODUCED, because it's simply not true!

Once again, the heat is still being produced, just moved away more quickly and efficiently!

I don't know what makes you think the air is actually cooler when it leaves the heatsink. If I stick my hand in front of my video card cooler (zalman vf900), the air is very warm - but because it is throwing the air away from the core, it lowers the core temperatures. The core still produces the same volume of heat, it's just carried away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom