Alternative Fan for my Dark Rock 2

Ethnod

Solid State Member
Hi Guys,

So I bought a new PC recently and bought all the parts specifically down to reduced noise. I have an Antec P280 for my case and its incredibly quiet, lovin it but as odd as it sounds (haha :facepalm:) the only noise I can hear is from the fan on my Dark Rock 2. Yes the cooler I bought from be quiet is the loudest thing in my system lol kind of ironic but probably because I put a lot more effort in to selecting the rest of the parts than I did the cooler (long story, last min change to order).

This is the cooler btw
Dark Rock 2 Specs

So I was wondering if there were any fans I could replace it with? I mean, can I just replace it with any old fan of the same size? Will the metal clamps fit on any standard fan or do I need a specific fan? Anyone know? I have tried looking in to it and found very little

Cheers

Attachments

• Be-Quiet-Dark-Rock-2.jpg
    Be-Quiet-Dark-Rock-2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1
Yea sorry I was just reading over my post and no its not very clear :rolleyes:

So the heatsink is fine, works very well actually. Actually keeps my CPU below 60 even when gaming for quite some time. Very happy with the cooler actually just the fan attached (the one that came with the cooler) while looks great is louder than anything else on my entire system. I built the whole thing to be silent and I can hear it, not much mind you but bugs me a little.

I am looking to simple see if anyone knows if the fan itself can be replaced, just the fan from the heatsink and not the entire thing

Sorry about that :) Hope that makes more sense now :silly:

What CPU is it? If you don't mind paying a little bit of money and don't mind the ugly colors then I suggest getting a Noctua fan. It looks like the clips will utilize any 120MM fan.

Specs:

Antec Performance One P-280,
MSI Z77 Mpower, Intel Z77, ATX, DDR3
Intel Core i7-3770K Box, LGA1155
be quiet! Dark Rock 2
16GB-Kit G.Skill Sniper PC3-12800U CL9
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Basic
WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s

Well my suggestion is already on the table. If you play a game for a while and the GPU starts getting warm that fan is going to get noisy 100% guaranteed. Give it a while and you'll hear it.

I'm looking in to weather a noctua fan will actually fit the clamps or not. The Measurments for the fan that came with the heatsink are 135mm so not exactly sure. Contacted be quiet so we'll see. Its a great little heatsink though and only for this system is so silent I would not have noticed. But when I stop the heatsink fan the PC might as well be off for all the noise it makes. We'll see what they say

P.S: And the GPU fan, that I can tell, is not actually making that much noise even while gaming. But then again, when I am gaming I am listening to the game and not the PC :D

According to reviews of the product it's supposed to be silent. If it's really that noisy I would ask them for a replacement fan, and make sure CPU auto fan control is turned on so it isn't running 100% all the time.

The fan is indeed 135mm and I don't know of any fans that are 135mm besides this one. Kinda leaves you a bit screwed. If you have a 120 on your case I suggest testing it to see if it will work on the heatsink before you buy a new fan.

Back
Top Bottom