Airflow. Which fans? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Airflow. Which fans?

I decided (Well... needing more money decided) to sell my Fractal Design Define R4, and buy a Cougar Archon. That being said, I'd like to find orange fans. Just to keep with the scheme, as long as they are good quality, and give great performance. I've been looking at the Courgar 120MM Vortex Hydro or BitFenix Spectre 120mm. They will be controlled by a separate controller, and not at full speed all the time. Which fans should I be looking at, and not looking at?

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
95BlackGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Airflow. Which fans?

Specs always lie, but the Cougar fans have a higher CFM for the RPMs. Personally, both fans sound terrible to me, but I only go for performance fans that aren't really meant for themes.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Specs always lie, but the Cougar fans have a higher CFM for the RPMs. Personally, both fans sound terrible to me, but I only go for performance fans that aren't really meant for themes.
Going off of reviews, not 'Egg reviews, the Cougar fans do nicely.

Definitely don't want to go Noctua, as I'm not spending that much money to cool the inside of a compact mid tower. Maybe if money proves well enough to go to a full tower, or something that's not as cheap as a single Noctua fan...

Scythe has the Gentle Typhoon that I can buy, and just add my own LED lighting to.
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Wasn't exactly talking about Noctua fans because they really aren't meant to be case fans. I was thinking more along the lines of you wanted some form of Orange fan so I didn't mention the GTs either because they are black and gray.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Wasn't exactly talking about Noctua fans because they really aren't meant to be case fans. I was thinking more along the lines of you wanted some form of Orange fan so I didn't mention the GTs either because they are black and gray.
I said I wouldn't be putting aesthetics over performance. Not in those exact words, but it's at least what I meant. I can get LED's and wire them up to get close to the look I want.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

My bad, that wasn't what I was getting from your first post lol.

If that's the case, I definitely recommend GTs over anything else for cases.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Snagged an amazing deal on 4 GT's for $15 and a 4GB RAM kit. I love Craigslist! Was originally wanting $60, but talked him down. RAM was free to me. Now for a fan controller...
Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

15 bucks a piece? Niiiice. I can't rely on CL in my area. Too many people want too much money for essentially what is garage sale junk.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
15 bucks a piece? Niiiice. I can't rely on CL in my area. Too many people want too much money for essentially what is garage sale junk.
Nope, $15 + the RAM kit for all. Haven't hooked them up yet, but getting real anxious...
Old 02-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
Nope, $15 + the RAM kit for all. Haven't hooked them up yet, but getting real anxious...
Pfffffft I'm jelly. Did you see the price for them on Newegg?

Access to my Plex PM me.