Afterburner only showing one out of four GPU fans running...

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I'm starting to overclock my graphics cards, so I ran Afterburner and GPUTool... once the temps started getting around 85, I started to pay attention to the fan graphs. According to the Afterburner graphs, only one of the GPU fans (out of four) was doing anything at all! That GPU1 fan was peaking at over 90%; all of the others were at 0%. Any ideas on why this might be the case? After all, it wasn't only GPU1 that was getting hot, it was GPU1 through GPU4, and if only fan 1 was running, you'd think GPU2 through GPU4 would be way hotter (they weren't). Does this sound like a hardware thing, or is it possible it's just a glitch with the software reading the fan output?

One thing I should mention... I know a lot of overclockers have the fans set to 100% all of the time. I really can't deal with that kind of noise, which is why I'm planning on eventually watercooling it in a month or so; right now, I'm just going for a mild overclock; once the watercooling is in place, I'll go for the crazy overclock :) . So right now the fans are set on auto. I am open to adjusting the fan curve so that they go up to 100% much earlier than normal, but I don't want the fans at 100% when I'm doing nothing but using Internet Explorer.

I'd try using gpu-z to see what tghe fans are really doing.

Its quite possible that as you have xfire on, it reads them all as 1... Is there a rpm readings in afterburner?

Side note, I've maxed my gpu overclock, and only run at 55-65% fan 24/7.

I do have crossfire running, so that could be it; I will also try gpu-z.

I don't know about the rpm reading; I'll check when I'm home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom