Not open for further replies.
Sh0r_ty said:
CPU- AMD 3200 939
MOBO- Gigabyte k8nf-9
HDD- 200gig SATA WD
MEM- 1gig Corsair/Geil value pc3200
VGA-6600GT PCI-E or 6800GT PCI-e depends on budget
Thermaltake Soprano Case with 430watt psu
2gig ram is excessive 1gig is ample as even doom3 on ultra settings uses only 470 or so a 3500 is hardly faster than a 3200 and u can oc it sooo easy and a 9600 pro sux it won;t do any decent gaming eg doom3 low settings only for playable frame rates

2gig is not excessive. Basically the more ram you have THE BETTER. With 2gb of ram you can turn your Page file off and or turn it down really low. And if you have at least 4gb's of ram you can do some software RAMDISK stuff. really, really fast!

uzi9mm said:
2gig is not excessive. Basically the more ram you have THE BETTER. With 2gb of ram you can turn your Page file off and or turn it down really low. And if you have at least 4gb's of ram you can do some software RAMDISK stuff. really, really fast!

Explain using examples in this room.

I'm sorry, I like to think there is a Simpsons reference for every conceivable scenario. There pretty much is. But seriously though, explain a little further. RAMDISK? And would turning off my pagefile actually do anything to increase performance? Something like that I can see ONLY helps, and does nothing detrimental.

But like was said earlier, 2 gigs is rather excessive. I had two gigs once, mainly for bragging rights. Then I bought a matched pair, went DC, and saw a whole world of improvement! With 2 gigs, I could either watch TV (WinDVR) OR backup a dvd. If I did both, my system would crash. In 1gb dual channel, theoretically running twice as fast as 2 gb, I can watch TV AND backup a dvd with little to no noticable performance loss.

RAMDISK means to take a commonly used program, and to allocate it as much memory as it needs. the equivlent to the program itself.

If I wanted to RAMDISK a game that was 2gb of Data overall. It would take up about 2gb of physical memory.

This process would eliminate the need to constantly have the program query the HD for data.

And you do get way better performance.

But it is only recommended for people who have at least 4 gb of ram.

I never said you wouldnt get better performance, I didnt know what RAMDISk was so how could I make a claim like that? Blasphemous!

I said turning off the pagefile, IMO, wouldnt show a performance increase. I believe it would be more detremental than anything.

Now I want to max my RAM and do up RAMDISK. But would I have to configure it all the time? Like pulling out and putting in (HAHA!) programs? Remember, I dont know how it works. dont yell at me if I sound ignorant.

You can set the RAMDISK program to automatically load upon boot-up of the OS. It would be best if you had the RAMDISK data on it's own partition on the HD, for fast transfers on startup.

There is also Hardware ramdisk. But those are really really expensive. It is litteraly a hard drive that has no platters but it has space for 4 sticks of RDRAM.

Thats pretty cool. I'm going to do some research on said topic.

thax

-Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom