Advice on OC'ing E8400 - 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubbleet

Daemon Poster
I want to OC my E8400 to 3.6. I have ASUS P5Q Pro Mobo, 4GB G. Skill DDR2-800 Black Pi, and Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. As far as I know I will change the FSB to 400, turn off SpeedStepping and C1E, and change to voltage to 1.275ish (help me out with a good number) and is there anything else I should change/enable/disable. After I do all that I'm supposed to run Prime95 for like 10-12 hrs? Should I manually change my RAM timings to 4-4-4-12 or leave it at default 5-5-5-15 when I OC? Because the Black Pi is supposed to be 4-4-4-12, and my Mobo sets it to 5-5-5-15.

If you could throw in some advice it would help me. It's my first time OC'ing anything :D

have you maxed out your speed on stock voltage?

i would do that first, then when you hit the wall, up the voltage lil by lil.
you should be fine running yoru ram @ 4-4-4-12 as long as it has the correct ram voltage to it.

What do u mean on stock voltage? Should I leave the voltage setting auto. Also I haven't changed the RAM voltage. I heard that if I leave the CPU voltage on Auto setting it will change it or something.

turn set your voltage to stock settings manually. then max out your cpu overclock. then raise your cpu voltage if you have not hit 3.6ghz

So what you're saying is to change FSB to 400, then keep raising the voltage from stock until it shows 3.6ghz? Then once it shows 3.6ghz in the BIOS boot into OS and run Prime95?

So what you're saying is to change FSB to 400, then keep raising the voltage from stock until it shows 3.6ghz? Then once it shows 3.6ghz in the BIOS boot into OS and run Prime95?

if 400 = 3.6 then ya

3.6GHz is only a 600MHz overclock, these chips can hit well over 4.0GHz.
lots of (intel) chips can get a 400-600MHz overclock on stock voltages

Well I'm new to overclocking so I don't know much at all. Yes it's a small overclock, and I couldn't find out the stock voltage. I tried to google search etc but I got 0.85V – 1.3625V off the Intel site. Could you tell me a good one to start off with if possible? Also is there anything else I need to change/enable/disable in the BIOS?

Well I'm new to overclocking so I don't know much at all. Yes it's a small overclock, and I couldn't find out the stock voltage. I tried to google search etc but I got 0.85V – 1.3625V off the Intel site. Could you tell me a good one to start off with if possible? Also is there anything else I need to change/enable/disable in the BIOS?

try 1.25 or close, just saw a screenshot of 3.8GHz with that voltage.

Ok I think I got it now. I'll test tonight when I sleep with Prime95 and see how it turns out.
FSB-400x9=3.6
Voltage-1.225
PCIE Spread Spectrum-Disabled
CPU Spread Spectrum-Disabled
C1E-Disabled
Speedstep-Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom