Advice on getting a new case

Status
Not open for further replies.

drworm2005

In Runtime
I was thinking about getting this case for my next build.

caseclr3do.jpg

Can anyone tell me if it would be a good idea or not and if not WHY.

I have a mate who knows very little about pc's but he told me IHO it would not be a good idea to get it because of something about the meterial it's made with produces static electrisity, does anyone know if this is correct or not.

Drworm2005.

wow first off let me say that you know dumb people
secondly adrylic cases are a pain to make look nice and dont offer the same cooling effects of an aluminium case which itself absorbs some heat

IMHO i dont like how it looks but static electricity is not gonna happen otherwise all these cases would have been pulled from the market

aspire.comptech said:
wow first off let me say that you know dumb people

I will repeat I have a mate who knows very little about pc's, after he said this i also had queries about static electrisity. Bassically i thought an aluminium would be easily grounded but what is there to ground the acrylic?

Also IMO i don't think it would be a pain to get it looking good.

As far as heat wise in my Aluminium case my temps are 28C at idle and 32C under load, putting a few more degrees on those would not be harmful.

Drworm2005.

That case looks alright to me. it's not something i would want, but you're the one buying it.

If you bundle up the cables right and use a few round cables, i think it would look good.

As for the Static electricity thing, i would just make sure to wear one of those anti-static wrist bands. the acrylic will act as an insulator, and if you do have any static build up, it would be more likely to discharge through one of your computer's components.

drworm2005 said:
I will repeat I have a mate who knows very little about pc's, after he said this i also had queries about static electrisity. Bassically i thought an aluminium would be easily grounded but what is there to ground the acrylic?

Also IMO i don't think it would be a pain to get it looking good.

As far as heat wise in my Aluminium case my temps are 28C at idle and 32C under load, putting a few more degrees on those would not be harmful.

Drworm2005.

seems like your mind is made..

tylerdrude said:
seems like your mind is made..

Yes you could say that, but i got told to find out about this static thing. If i found out that it would fry my components do you really think i would still get one.

Drworm2005.

One thing to make a mental note of is that if you have LEDs inside of it, it is going to shine like nothing you've ever seen. It might get irritating after a while... all of those lights shining out. But, it seems kinda cool to me... but it is nothing I'd particularly want for a long time.

Static is not an issue. The thing is made out of the same material that is used to make case windows. It is just alot thicker. I think what he meant was directed more towards the ground. When you hook up peices to an aluminum or steel case, the case itself acts as a ground as it is enough to dissipate all of the static. My worry would be grounding all of the peices. Since they cannot ground to the case, they have to rely on the ground through the PSU. That should be enough, but still, I would be a little worried about that.

Other than that, I have seen that case before and have always wanted it. You know when you want something, but when the chance to buy it comes round, you dont buy it? Happens to me all the time.

Him said:
I have seen that case before and have always wanted it. You know when you want something, but when the chance to buy it comes round, you dont buy it? Happens to me all the time.

Yeah, i always do it as well, although this time i did decide to buy it.:D I threw all my old stuff in it cause i couldn't wait. Like you said the grounding will have to rely on the PSU alone and i think this is a problem. I only have a crappy CODEGEN 350W PSU and my 12V+ rail has been jumping all over the place from 0.90-6.92V I'm going to get another PSU i'm thinking maybe THIS ONE I can get it for $119.00AU, i was also thinking about putting some ground wires from my PSU to the mobo,DVD,HDD etc etc. What do you think of this.

Drworm2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom