Advice On Building My First PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

milanbaros

Solid State Member
I have decided to build my new pc myself for the first time. I am almost a total novice so I need a little help. I am using www.dabs.co.uk to buy the components but if you know much cheaper places to buy from in the UK do tell.

The computer will mostly be used for word processing and the internet but I am getting much more interested in photo editing. I can also see it being used for non console games such as flight sims and strategy (I have only left that genre of gaming behind because my current pc isnt up to scratch).

So far this is what I am thinking but I am very open to suggestions.

Processor: Pentium 4 540 1MB Socket775 800FSB

Mobo: Abit Intel 915P Socket775 PCI-E ATX Audio/LAN/RAID

Memory: 2x 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL3

Hard Drive: SpinPoint P80 160GB SATA150

Optical Drive: DVD+-R/RW 16x16x Black - Drive Only

I don't know which case or graphics card to get so suggestions are welcome.

As you can tell the budget for this isn't big at all but I want to get the most bang for my buck. Can you help me at all?

Seems pretty good but any flight simulator would run better with a real graphics card, as well as improved video quality for photochop.

novatech.co.uk
overclockers.co.uk
lowestontheweb.co.uk (or .com)

The spec seems fine. The gig of memory will help photoshop and flight sims to run smoothly. Processor is respectable (glad you went for Intel for the functions you'll be using). I don't think there is much else you will need... does the motherboard have on-board sound?

I would buy the 2x512mb ram in a "kit" that is approved to run in dual channel.

Depending on the budget either a 6600GT or a 6800GT would be a good graphics card.

Is

Kingston ValueRAM 2x512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDRRAM Non-Parity CL3

compatible with

Abit Intel 915P Socket 775 ATX Audio/LAN/RAID

thanks for the help

Oh and can you see a suitable case that comes with all the screws etc on this pagepage

I don't need a special case in anyway and I don't want to spend much more than £40, however I don't want something that will turn out to have been a waste of money later no matter how chep it is.

if i were u i would buy 2 seperate hard drives (sata of course) and set them at raid 0 for 2x the speed...but the only thing u have to watch out for is if u **** up ur gonna have to reformat both drives cuz what it does is it writes to the 2 hard drives at the same time putting half the data on one and half the data on the other one so watch out and happy building!!

I am still unsure which graphics card to get. I know its a relatively easy component to upgrade so long term isnt that much of a problem.

How about the Radeon X600XT 128MB PCI-E DVI-I VIVO?

The 6600 GT is the perfect low budget video card. If you can afford to get something better, then go for it. Because your cpu/videocard/mobo are what you want to spend the most money on. Heres the link. Good choice on the processor. Also, serial sata 10000rpm raid0, would really help ALOT. If you cant afford dual HD, then atleast a single 10000rpm HD. Personally, i think 7200rpm HD are out of date. But thats just me, so dont get all crazy over it.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=3K54&familyid=186

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom