Advice on building - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
idiotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3700BNBOX) (CP-121-AM)
£174.95 £174.95
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-014-DF)
£84.95 £84.95
Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-049-LT)
£179.95 £179.95
OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR REVISION 2 CAS2 (MY-048-OC)
£139.95 £139.95
OCZ ModStream 520w ATX2.2 Power Supply (CA-017-OC)
£74.95 £74.95
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus NCQ 80GB ST380817AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-003-SE)
£35.95 £35.95
NEC ND3540 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-019-NE)
£26.80 £26.80
Subtotal £717.50
VAT £125.57
Total £843.07
:up: Good Build
__________________

__________________

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
idiotec is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Default

Thanks for the set up and the link

Roughly how would the rig you suggested compare to my current one in terms of game performance?

This was mine so far:

Graphics: XFX GeForce 7800GTX
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 San Diego 3700
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Hard-drive: 2x 120G Maxtor DMax+9 SATA150/7200 8MB
RAM Memory: 2x CORSAIR 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
DVD Drive: 16X DVD Dual Layer

Total: £876


Thanks for the help
__________________

T-Nemesis is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,010
Default

I had a PSU which was excellent quality, and you pay for it in the price. I also had overclocking ram, which costs about £100 more than value ram.

The 7800GTX is a better card.

this compares it to a 6800ultra: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...00_gtx-14.html

The ASUS SLI boards are meant to be buggy. DFI and MSI are great companies.
__________________

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Trifid is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifid
I had a PSU which was excellent quality, and you pay for it in the price. I also had overclocking ram, which costs about £100 more than value ram.

The 7800GTX is a better card.

this compares it to a 6800ultra: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...00_gtx-14.html

The ASUS SLI boards are meant to be buggy. DFI and MSI are great companies.
I don't know if I will need overclocking RAM, not yet anyway. Looks like it will be too complicated; I will probably end up wrecking it


I might replace the Asus Sli with a DFI Lanparty nF4 SLi-DR.

This might sound stupid, but when system requirements for games etc say something like '3ghz', is that a sum of the Mobo bus speed and the Processor clock speed?
T-Nemesis is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,010
Default

It means just the clock speed of the processor.

btw. There are only minor differences between the SLI-DR and SLI-D, and you may never need them. E.g. 8 sata ports apposed to 4 of the SLI-D. You may as well save your money.
__________________

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Trifid is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,743
Send a message via AIM to Dark_Sniper* Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Sniper*
Default

its would be the cpu clock speed, and no its not a stupid question you need to know.
__________________
Dark_Sniper* is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifid
It means just the clock speed of the processor.

btw. There are only minor differences between the SLI-DR and SLI-D, and you may never need them. E.g. 8 sata ports apposed to 4 of the SLI-D. You may as well save your money.
My bad, I meant SLI-D.

Im having a tough time finding a processor with 3ghz, I guess I'll wait until next year to get one
T-Nemesis is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
idiotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Nemesis
My bad, I meant SLI-D.

Im having a tough time finding a processor with 3ghz, I guess I'll wait until next year to get one
If they are saying the requirements are 3Ghz, they are referring to "Intel Ghz." That San Diego 3700+ is "equivilent" to an Intel at 3.7Ghz. Trust me, you'll be more than fine with that CPU

If your not OC'ing, it would be a good move to save money on the RAM and get th 7800GTX. That along with a 3700+ will run any game today at max settings.
__________________

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
idiotec is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by idiotec
If they are saying the requirements are 3Ghz, they are referring to "Intel Ghz." That San Diego 3700+ is "equivilent" to an Intel at 3.7Ghz. Trust me, you'll be more than fine with that CPU

If your not OC'ing, it would be a good move to save money on the RAM and get th 7800GTX. That along with a 3700+ will run any game today at max settings.
Ah that would explain it

Thanks for the advice

Great, Im on a budget of £0 now
Could be a while before I get this pc. :amazed:
T-Nemesis is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 417
Default

jesus, 1000 quid, and you say your on a budget - lol.
__________________

Xiahou is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.