Advanced Chipset Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

galant_mod

In Runtime
hey guys,need help and advise here.
in bios advanced chipset features there are dram clock control , agp&p2p bridge control.

in the dram clock,should i choose by spd or 133mhz?how does spd works and which is better and why.

in agp&p2p bridge control,there are two.the agp aperture size and agp fast write.

wad size shuld i set the agp aperture size?is it same as my graphic card size?my initial size in bios is 64m.i've just change my graphic card(gigabyte radeon 9600 pro) to 128mb so shuld i change the aperture size?

and for the agp fast write,shuld i enable it?wad is the use of it?or advise and help will be appreciated.Big thank:D

Leave the RAM the way it is.

Your AGP Aperture should be 1/2 your total system memory (system RAM). Turn on Fastwrites unless problems occur.

turtile said:

Your AGP Aperture should be 1/2 your total system memory (system RAM). Turn on Fastwrites unless problems occur.

1/2?

Mines at 64mb and I have 1GB system mem.

turtile said:

The AGP Aperture should be set to the size of your video card's RAM. Setting it higher will not do anything for you. Setting it lower will (I THINK) limit the amount of video RAM available.

Fastwrites used to boost performance. However, now-a-days it can result in performance loss and cause a lot of problems. See which way works for you, but usually off will suit you better.

Basically, Fastwrites takes info from the CPU, and sends it directly to the GPU, skipping the system RAM all togethor. Without Fast writes, the CPU sends data to the RAM and then to the GPU (atleast that is my understanding, I may be wrong).

If you have an older card, you may benefit from Fastwrites. If you have a newer card, I'd leave it off.

CrazeD said:
The AGP Aperture should be set to the size of your video card's RAM. Setting it higher will not do anything for you. Setting it lower will (I THINK) limit the amount of video RAM available.

Fastwrites used to boost performance. However, now-a-days it can result in performance loss and cause a lot of problems. See which way works for you, but usually off will suit you better.

Basically, Fastwrites takes info from the CPU, and sends it directly to the GPU, skipping the system RAM all togethor. Without Fast writes, the CPU sends data to the RAM and then to the GPU (atleast that is my understanding, I may be wrong).

If you have an older card, you may benefit from Fastwrites. If you have a newer card, I'd leave it off.

I'm pretty sure the AGP Aperture is the amount of system ram that will be used in place of Video Card ram when you need more space. Setting it at 512mb or 2GB will not do anything unless you intend to run some program that requires 2GB of video memory. I think you're best off setting it so that your total is at 256-512mb range. So if you have a 128mb card, set it at 128mb-256mb. It really depends on the system. If you don't have a lot or system ram, then don't set it too high or it'll slow the whole PC down.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

slvrstang said:
I'm pretty sure the AGP Aperture is the amount of system ram that will be used in place of Video Card ram when you need more space. Setting it at 512mb or 2GB will not do anything unless you intend to run some program that requires 2GB of video memory. I think you're best off setting it so that your total is at 256-512mb range. So if you have a 128mb card, set it at 128mb-256mb. It really depends on the system. If you don't have a lot or system ram, then don't set it too high or it'll slow the whole PC down.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

O rly?

So, I have a 256mb card... if I set the AGP aperture size to 128mb, then I would have (basically) 384mb of video RAM?

CrazeD said:
O rly?

So, I have a 256mb card... if I set the AGP aperture size to 128mb, then I would have (basically) 384mb of video RAM?

No, you have 256mb of video ram, and 128mb of system ram that CAN be used for video memory (only when necessary because of how extremely slow it is to transfer to and from the GPU vs. the ram on the card).

Do you know of ANY games that require over 256mb of video memory? I can't even think of any with 256 recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom