adjusting ram timing and memtest86? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default adjusting ram timing and memtest86?

I ran memtest86 on my computer for 27 passes and it came up with 13800 errors. But all were in test 5 which according to is normal for a athlon system.

There have been numerous reports of errors in only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.
What I need to know is am I suppose to set my ram timings closer or farther apart. I figured faster but the wording "conservative" is a little confusing.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Is this with everything at stock speeds? What is the system config?

Any ways, more "conservative" would mean loosening the timings, i.e. higher numbers. For example, instead of 2.5-3-3-7, you might loosen to 3-3-3-8. Of course the numbers with your particular RAM may vary.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

TwinMos 3200 2.5, 3, 3, 8 those are stock and is what I have them at.
Chaintech 7NJL6 mobo
amdxp barton 2900 400fsb
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb
Seagate and WD 160gb 7200rpm hdds

My problem is even worst now. I don't know why but my computer will not boot windows no matter what I do. I was running 3dmark05 and it froze the screen went blue with a bunch of write spots and now it won't load windows. I'm thinking the video card blew up, but the fan is running
Closed Thread