Adjust Timings when OC'ing RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
hey i finally got a nice overclocking motherboard to use with my OCZ Platinum Rev 2s! However, I kind of forget how to overclock. I know you have to adjust the FSB and stuff but I remember there was something about loosening the timings. The RAM has 2-2-2-5 timings so which timing(s) do i loosen to get higher speeds? sorry for this being a noob question.

If I were you I would actually leave the timings and possibly just set a memory divider instead.

But then I know very little about timings so you may wait to see what other people's inputs are.

I would do these steps:
- Set a 1:2 mem divider and see how high your cpu can OC
- See how high your ram can OC
- Get as close to your max cpu OC as possible with the smallest mem divider that you can use and still be stable. (hopefully 1:1 or 9:10 but 5:6 is still fine)

i got the memory overclocked to 228MHz at 1.8V with the timings 2-3-2-5 (i can't figure out why it's not 2-2-2-5 but oh well). How do i loosen the timings to allow for a better overclock? I heard these things could be overclocked A LOT. Please someone help me! where's nubius when ya need him...?

I'm not familiar with your BIOS but there should be some DRAM settings page somewhere in there which is why you should get familiar with your BIOS before you start overclocking

I assume you mean 2.8v as stock DDR vdimm is 2.6v...as for your latency changing from 2-2-2-5 to 2-3-2-5, you have to realize that you have to loosen timings to maintain higher clock frequencies, therefore that is perfectly normal and perfectly fine. I'm assuming you currently have everything set to auto so you want to go back down to stock speeds, adjust timings manually to 2-2-2-5, run memtest for a bit, and then start overclocking

If you can't find your DRAM settings google "A64 Tweaker" and download it...this will allow you to adjust all memory timings including extended A64 ones from Windows...I suggest you read this to get an idea of what the timings actually effect

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397

He has an Ultra-D, or so he said in his PM...that'd be why his timings are defaulting at 2-3-2-5....it's just what these boards do.

Basically just follow the link gaara posted, as I woulda posted the same thing and go over the AMD64 OC'ing link here. Up the voltage, loosen timings, test it, that's basically it.

250MHz and 2.5-3-3-7 using atleast 2.8v if not 2.9 is a decent estimate for most good RAM that'll OC....assuming they have TCCD's which yours does or at the very least it has TCC5s.

If you start using 2.9 and 3v I'd put a fan blowing over the RAM just to make sure it stays cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom