Adding a partiton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
Having a 80gb HD. Is it possible to add a partiton, so you have 2 partitions on the HD, and put windows on one and the rest of your stuff on the other? I heard it can make a performance boost.

no it doesn't have to be done on a clean drive if by that you mean new. as long as you haven't already installed windows and made the windows partiton the size of the entire hdd it's not a problem. just download some partition software and set the partition sizes. its easies if the drive has no partitions (either because its new or they were deleted) then you simply create a partition the size and type you want your windows partition to be. then partition the remainder as storage

If im not mistaken, you can install another OS it if you have an OS installed and even if the existing partition is the full capacity of your HD...

Try using Partion Magic...its a good program I used to use...Im sure you can create partitions even if you have an os installed/the partition is the partition is all the hd capacity becuase i used to do that....you only need to have some free space on your hd and youell it to create a partion..it uses that space and creates one....even if you already have partitions, it can take some free space from 1 partition and give to the other partition, or you can create another partition from the free space you have...

As for installing windows, i never tried that but there was an option in Partition Magic which sais so...i never tried it but it should work...

hope that helped...

JamesR said:
yeah, its possible, but im pretty sure it has to be done on a 'clean' drive.
Use Partition Magic if you all ready have data installed on the drive. Just make sure you have enough room on the drive to make the partition.
Eg. You want to make a second 20Gb Partition, you need to have at least 20Gb hard drive space free to do it.

Rawan AbuSalman said:
If im not mistaken, you can install another OS it if you have an OS installed and even if the existing partition is the full capacity of your HD...
But with windows O.S., install the oldest OS First.
Win 98 --> Win 2000 --> Win Xp
Otherwise, if you install Windows Xp on their first, when you try to install Windows 2000, it will take take the Windows Xp Partition. Or at least make it non bootable.

And if you are doing Dual Boot Window and Linux, install Windows First, then install Linux.

nitestick said:
it is possible to do it after an OS is installed but it is far easier and safer to do it pre-install.

I second that.

Ofcourse you can resize the Windows partition and add another partition with programs like Partition Magic. I prefer deleting everything and re-installing everything, though. Makes me feel better cause it's safer.

Partitioning will only give a very slightly noticable performance boost, depending on how you use the partitions. Partitions are primarely useful for safety, in case you have to format the Windows partition; also very useful for organizing your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom