Adding front-panel USB ports to case

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
My Compaq Presario recently fried on me, so I had to replace the motherboard. Because it was an old computer, I decided to go with a new motherboard and get a nice upgrade out of it. However, had to purchase a new CPU and a PSU that had a 12V CPU connector (I purchased a board that supported AGP graphics and DDR RAM, which I had extras of laying around from my other PC). After getting all this installed (had to cut the back of the case to fit the PSU in), it works fine, but the power LED and switch connector didn't fit the new board. I had to cut the power switch board up and rewire the pins, but it was only two LED's and a switch, so it wasn't hard.

However, the motherboard has pins for 4 front-panel USB ports and one front-panel 1394 port. The front-panel board that was in the case had a ribbon cable that connected 2 USB and one Game port, and the board looks incompatible. How would I go about getting USB ports that support a modern motherboard and a 1394 port to put in the front of my PC? Is there any place that sells just the ports with board plugs? If I can get 4 USB ports and a 1394 port, and some motherboard compatible plugs, I could solder it together as well, but I'm unsure of the pinouts.

You could grab something like this..

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE SST-FP32-B Aluminum USB/1394/Audio Panel ( Black ) - Retail

That just goes in the 3.5" floppy bay, and plugs into your motherboard.

You could also ghetto rig one of these..
Rinaldo_USB_Bracket.jpg

I have my hard drive in my second floppy bay (floppy drive in first) but i was looking at that. It might fit in the case's existing port opening with a little modification, I'll probably go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom