Adding a fan... Exhuast or Intake? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Default Re: Adding a fan... Exhuast or Intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Having the top as an intake is fighting thermal dynamics and airflow. and you end up squishing air into the middle of your case. Youre also pushing hot mobo air to your gpu....

So while it'll cool the northbridge, youre also heating your other components.
You're forgetting that the rear exhaust will pull the majority of the hot air from around the cpu socket out of the case.

Also, the graphics card heatsink is on the other side of board and thus isn't pulling in hot air from the top intake.

I ran a blowhole with a 120mm fan both directions. As a blowhole it just pulled aiflow away from my power supply and rear fans.

As an intake it supplied fresh air to the entire top of the case and helped EVERYTHING run cooler.

Maybe your case is different, but those are my experiences.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

rIGHT HERE: PC Case Mod Guides, How Tos, Dremel, Paint Tutorials and Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
You're forgetting that the rear exhaust will pull the majority of the hot air from around the cpu socket out of the case.

Also, the graphics card heatsink is on the other side of board and thus isn't pulling in hot air from the top intake.

I ran a blowhole with a 120mm fan both directions. As a blowhole it just pulled aiflow away from my power supply and rear fans.

As an intake it supplied fresh air to the entire top of the case and helped EVERYTHING run cooler.

Maybe your case is different, but those are my experiences.
But if you add too much in, its not going to be able to flow out like you think. So you'll get a hot pocket in the middle where your gpu sucks air in, so it wouldn't matter where the heatsinks are.

You've seem to have a direct through and through for the mid case area, which would move the hot air, but not everyone would be in that situation, I'd bet its a lot who don't have that setup. You gotta get the middle exhausted or heat will buildup, plain and simple.

Even my 900, air doesn't exhaust out the mid of the case, so your setup wouldn't work for it.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:

But if you add too much in, its not going to be able to flow out like you think. So you'll get a hot pocket in the middle where your gpu sucks air in, so it wouldn't matter where the heatsinks are.

You've seem to have a direct through and through for the mid case area, which would move the hot air, but not everyone would be in that situation, I'd bet its a lot who don't have that setup. You gotta get the middle exhausted or heat will buildup, plain and simple.

Even my 900, air doesn't exhaust out the mid of the case, so your setup wouldn't work for it.
My case has essentially 4 120mm fans pulling air out the back of my case as a result of my radiator mounted to the rear of the case.

Pulling air out of the middle of my case isn't and has never been an issue. Getting cool air in has.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Front on the bottom, intake. Otherwise you will have air going into your face.
Rear at the back or on top, outtake.

The only thing I hate about top outtake fans is that you really do not want to be putting them under your desk. I made that mistake once and i found myself constantly blown with air every time I was sitting down.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Just found that So if i have an exhaust on the middle top and back and 3 90mm in the front and front side for intake I should increase my flow from the 2 front and 1 back?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

I think I will add 4 of these:

Casters - Cool Casters :: Red - Clear With Black Yoke

and 1 of these:

Computer Case Handles

I think 1 handle will be good enough.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

and you are most likely going want to have that top fan as intake.

Quote:

dude you should try turning your top 200mm fan on your 900 to intake, you will be surprised at how much the temps will drop.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 09-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post

dude you should try turning your top 200mm fan on your 900 to intake, you will be surprised at how much the temps will drop.
And so how does the air get out of the case then? 3 in and 1 out, not to mention gthe exhaust would be 3 inchs from the top intake.

Airflow needs to flow, that setup doesnt, with out better mid fan placement.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
And so how does the air get out of the case then? 3 in and 1 out, not to mention gthe exhaust would be 3 inchs from the top intake.

Airflow needs to flow, that setup doesnt, with out better mid fan placement.
A case is not an airtight vessel.

As you force air into the case if you don't have an equal setup of cfm fans it does not matter. It will force it's way out of every seam, vent, or hole in the case.

This is the entire concept revolving around positive pressure clean rooms. Force enough filtered air into the building and the pressure will force it's way out of any opening it can to prevent contaminants from entering.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Techie

My side panel has a large design on it made out of circle mesh instead of acrylic window.

Closed Thread