Act of changing clocks lowers lifetime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
Ok I read somewhere (maybe it was on the forums I forget) that the act of changing the clock speeds on your video card shortens the lifespan. I'm not talking about leaving it OCed, I know that generally lowers the life span. I mean the actual act of changing the clock speed, be it up or down.

Is this true? If it is should I be concerned that I minimize from 3d games to windows all the time (windows has diff clock settings then 3d games on my machine, so its has to change the clocks when it minimizes)?

Yes, overclocking does reduce the lifespan of hardware. Reason is, your pushing them to their limits. The lifespan of most hardware is somewhere around hundreds of thousands of hours. Basically by the time the hardware dies, it will be so old that you will have probably updated since then.

Err I tried to make it clear what I meant, I guess I didnt. I mean does actually switching the clock speeds change the lifetime. I know that having it OCed will. For example, say I change my clock speed from on something from 50 to 51mhz then back and forth a whole lot of times. Does the actual switch of the speeds have any effect on its life.

I would say yes, because going from the slow speeds it uses while in windows to the high speeds used in games isn't easy on the core....

So how bad is it then, since on my nvidia card I've got a seperate OC for my 3d performance mode. Do most people just do what I'm doing and not worry about the life of the card?

Its probably better to have lower clock settings for 2D than 3D. The switching back and forth will probably have less of an effect than having both 3D and 2D at high settings all the time.

Going from the 300Mhz to 500Mhz clock on my GPU isn't easy on it, it would be a lot easier on the GPU to go from 400 to 500 or just to stay at 500 at all times... There won't be any real overclocking keeping it at 500 while in windows. And I am talking about my 6600GT...

to be honest i hvae never heard of this before. the idea that changing clocks from stock 50mhz to 49mhz would shorten lifespan

i would expect that if that did have a differance on lifespan nvidia would not make the card change clock speeds whenever u open a 3d ap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom