Acrylic case questions. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to Edward
Default Acrylic case questions.

Design of my case is coming along well at the moment I am working on the fan controller (I will be making my own as commercial ones don't meet my needs). I need to know the following:

How many fans can be hooked up to one connector on a PSU (Will I have problems if I hook up all 6 to one connector or do I need to connect them to separate connectors?).

I want to have a switch for each fan with two on positions one 5v and one 12v is this a good idea? Any switch recommendations (keeping in mind that I don't weld so I would need either one with wires coming out or screws to secure the wires.

And finally I want to know which HSF I should use for the CPU (Keeping in mind there will be air going into one side and out the top.

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

weeelll, this may not be relevent but ya could get one of those pci cards, and connect all the fans to that with the 3 pin plugs, they support loads, then you can change fan speeds in windows, and if ya want the cpu passivly cooled then get the xp-120 or the scythe ninja

Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

The Scythe ninja is going to be way to big. The case is only 6-7 inches high. You can connect a **** load of fans directly to the PSU but you won't have any contol over their speeds, and that case will be freaking loud! You have to realize Eddie that if your heatsink fan is blowing upwards and those huge 140mm fans are blowing down it's not going to cool that effectively.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The 140s are blowing up.
The XP 120 looks OK but what I want to know is will I be able to place it so the fins run back to front (or opposite there's no difference). By front to back I me aligned parallel to the cards.

Also what PCI card are you talking about?

And finnally aparently I came off sounding like I didn't want to use a fan on the HSF which is untrue I just don't want one that will fignt the airflow but work with it.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Acrylic case questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
How many fans can be hooked up to one connector on a PSU (Will I have problems if I hook up all 6 to one connector or do I need to connect them to separate connectors?).
that depends on your PSU. the better it is, the more you can hook up.

Quote:
I want to have a switch for each fan with two on positions one 5v and one 12v is this a good idea? Any switch recommendations (keeping in mind that I don't weld so I would need either one with wires coming out or screws to secure the wires.
I'd recommend having a variable control knob, for more control over the speed.

Quote:
And finally I want to know which HSF I should use for the CPU (Keeping in mind there will be air going into one side and out the top.[/B]
what socket is your CPU?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

At the moment I don't know which socket the CPU will be probable the most recent AMD socket.

And I think that the swhiches will be just fine as all I need is off for idle 5v for simple use and 12v for gaming.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

this is the thing i was refering to http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=4026 i think it does what i said (i may be horribly mistaken tho) yea and as was pointed out if your case if 6" then i geuss the ninja wont fit, not sure what you mean about the heatsink facing a differt way, but the xp 120 is a really good HS
Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Location: A system that rotates chaotically while simulations indicate irregular and unconventional behaviour.

well I got this http://www.xoxide.com/rheobus4port.html
works great and not too expensive

there are lots of other kinds: http://www.xoxide.com/5fanco1.html

before I also used switches to control my fan speeds, most of the time I used a 5V/7V option, 12V was just too darn loud

Closed Thread