9800GT Overclock Temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
So, I installed the 196.75 drivers for my nVidia card before I learned they were buggy. However, I've been using RivaTuner for fan speeds, so it's not a big deal (I think).

Right now, with my 9800GT, I have it overclocked to 700mhz core, 1728mhz shader, and 999mhz memory clock. Running FurMark with the fan set to 80%, I've been getting a constant load temp of 70C. The fan noise doesn't bother me - I can't hear it over my somewhat noisy power supply anyway.

I am wondering if this temp is safe for the card, and if running the fan for long periods of time at 80% speed would somehow damage it - make it wear out sooner or something.

I had two of the Zotac Eco edition 1gb 9800GTs in SLI, and those temps are way above what mine were. That being said, I had them fitted with aftermarket coolers, and only pushed 680mhz core and 999 memory. Mine never got above 36c under load and 26c idle. The fan is a long life fan, as they all are supposed to be, so 80% of it's max speed shouldnt hurt anything. The temperatures however are a bit high, 70c is the threshold at which hardware starts to degrade faster than it should over time, below 70c is safe, and always an aiming point for me when dealing with cooling management for components. I had 2 Zalman VF-1000 coolers for my 9800GTs.

For GPU's, anything at or below 80C is "safe," however I wouldn't recommend running them that hot. 70C is fine, though not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom