90s Rig Project - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: 90s Rig Project

Well I don't plan on running anything after 2000 (maybe besides Theif Metal Age). But it would be cool to get Unreal, Quake, Decent and of course the older Jedi Knight games and some of the other great shooters. Other than that I was just gonna try and expand my playing base to classics I never got to try.

I was like five years old when I played our original 98 PC, so I feel like I'm making up for lost time. Sure I could run some of those on revised steam versions, but I certainly couldn't do that on original copies.

Epifire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to raverx3m

how about matrox graphics card. I remember they used to put them on sony desktops
and aureal vortex audio I love that sound card. had 3 brand new ones at one point laying around until windows just disabled the driver for it made it unuseable

raverx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
Monster Techie

This thread is making me think of what I have in the back of my pile of stuff, I KNOW I have a couple of old AGP systems and my old 3dfx Voodoo3 3500TV card with a whopping 16 megs of ram kicking around in a box someplace, Might even still have the original driver and box for it. HMMMMM Maybe see if I can get something put together once I figure out what I have

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epifire View Post
Well I don't plan on running anything after 2000 (maybe besides Theif Metal Age). But it would be cool to get Unreal, Quake, Decent and of course the older Jedi Knight games and some of the other great shooters. Other than that I was just gonna try and expand my playing base to classics I never got to try.

I was like five years old when I played our original 98 PC, so I feel like I'm making up for lost time. Sure I could run some of those on revised steam versions, but I certainly couldn't do that on original copies.
3 games with acceleration for Voodoo cards. Kinda answers the question. Of course you could always have like a Geforce 2 or TNT2 and output that to a Voodoo 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
This thread is making me think of what I have in the back of my pile of stuff, I KNOW I have a couple of old AGP systems and my old 3dfx Voodoo3 3500TV card with a whopping 16 megs of ram kicking around in a box someplace, Might even still have the original driver and box for it. HMMMMM Maybe see if I can get something put together once I figure out what I have
Don't use the original driver from the purple CD. Get the newest one off the net first.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #35 (permalink)
Newb Techie

This sounds like a fun project, Can I ask what are benefits of a build like this? Is it just for fun so you can browse the web etc on an old machine that runs top notch? or do you have something more fun and or interesting in mind?
Slopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Build Guru

That was pretty much answered in the beginning of this thread. The benefit is for pure enjoyment of older experiences and older games. Certain older games just simply won't run on newer OS's and a VM cannot emulate the hardware acceleration needed to get the full experience of some older games that cards like a Sound Blaster or Voodoo will provide.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I apologize, I did read the thread, I was just thinking there would be something else to go along with it. I guess as much of a cool project it would be, it's just not up my alley.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #38 (permalink)
Build Guru

Experience and nostalgia. That's all any of this is ever about.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That's cool, I get it.