8GB and overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt its that big of an issue JustinTime, P45s are designed for that much memory. They can take it. The real issue here is price/performance. There is little to no performance bump with 8 gigs of ram, but 8 gigs cost a lot more than 4 gigs, which is already expensive.

I doubt its that big of an issue JustinTime, P45s are designed for that much memory. They can take it. The real issue here is price/performance. There is little to no performance bump with 8 gigs of ram, but 8 gigs cost a lot more than 4 gigs, which is already expensive.
Yes, your very right about the performance ain't really that much better, I can run every game in highest settings, with 4GB's RAM, and there is no lag, or anything. But I would only use 8GB's so you'll have the extra power for the newer games, because I heard since DirectX10 is out, games will use more power, which means you will need more RAM, but even then I'm sure 4GB's will still be great.

Software doesn't use energy, hardware does. I think what you mean is DX10 games are more demanding than DX9 games, which is true. Although the biggest determinant to Grpahics performance is your graphics card, not memory. Although memory is important.

But with 8 gigsw you run into a problem.
#1 its expensive
#2 it hurts OC performance
#3 you wont realistically use 8 gigs on a pc today
#4 even if you had crysis, photoshop, cod4 and premeir all open at the same time to fill up that 8 gigs, you would choke on your cpu and video card first.
#5 memory does not directly impact system performance, so you wont see a boost. memory only helps when you go from an insufficient amount to enough.

I have 4 gigs of ram. it didn't make hardly any difference in gaming performance over 2 gigs. This is probably due to the fact that crysis doesn't even use a gig of ram itself. If I wanted to improve gaming I would get a better cpu or video card first.

guys 8gb does make a difference from 4gb.....and on newer chipsets it won't hurt ocing unless you are trying to do like 600fsb or something insane.

i didnt really notice a difference in everyday life from 2 to 3....

maybe if i was making some high res photoshop pictures yes.... but.. at the moment i'm not.. lol

2 sticks of 4gb might not hurt OC. It would be like 4 sticks of 2gb that would cause an issue. But again, it depends on the chipset and the BIOS. You're right though zmatt, there would be bottlenecks on the CPU and video card before 8gb would be utilized.

i think 8 gb's at my work would be a blessing....

i'm constantly running 400 dpi posters and flyers and what not.. with at least 5-10 files open in both illustrator and photoshop....

I would only get 8GB's if you really know what you're doing, because you really don't need 8GB's YET, but future games surely will, but if you think you can just pop 8GB's in, and start playing, YOUR WRONG. when you add 8GB's of RAM, nearly every pc has to bump the RAM Voltage from 1.8V to about 2.1V, or even more. Also you might have to add more Voltage to your SB, and NB. Other wise your computer will fail on every boot. So I would add 8GB's but I just want you to know it ain't plug-and-play, like veryone thinks it is usually.

YET? I don't think we will ever need 8 gigs of ram to play a game. At least not for like another 10 years or somethung. And by the point in which we would ever need 8 gigs (still not likely) you would have old slow ram, it's not in the near future, or even distant, so why waste money now...?

Tresh, don't ever say something like that. Bill gates is known for saying "I don't see why anyone would need more than 640k of ram"

We will always need more, the question is when and how much.

No, we really will not. Not to play a game anyways. To play games and record, you really don't even need more than 4. And two will suffice fine. I can play games on high, with my crap cpu, crap gpu, and the 3 gigs of 800 mhz ram. Anything more is just overkill and isn't needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom