8GB and overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
hey guys

ok so after trying to overclock my Q6600 the past few weeks i found out that my ram and mobo are complete trash togeather (well not exactly thay work but not as well as i like)

so i spent a bit of time looking at the gigabyte mobo spe'c and what ram it is good with and ended up picking these

GeIL 8GB PC2-6400 C5 Black Dragon (4x2GB) - Aria Technology

so tommow (pay day) i'm going to go pick these up, and test them with 2x2GB and 2x4GB and a oc on each to see what i get

now the thing is i would like to know what every one things of going to 8gb and haveing a OC to

chances are you really won't notice a difference running 8gb, and it may hinder your OC if you are using 4 sticks. It depends on your mobo really. I don't even really notice a dramatic difference between 2 and 4gb (except with Crysis Warhead).

The more sticks of RAM, the harder it is to OC them. This is because each stick has slightly different OC characteristics.

This isn't as much of an issue with the newer P45s, but you have a P35. When you OC go down to 2 sticks. Also, I don't think you will see that much of a performance increase with 8 gigs of ram over 2 or 4.

only way to know is to find out, but the P35 chipset is not really ideal for clocking 8gb...the P45 is best for something like that as it's designed to handle large amounts of memory (4gb single dimms for example)

8gb oc'ing from what i understand is a task... i've been doing reading on xs.. and anytime the 4 dimms are filled it hinders oc performance.. and the ram will tend to need more voltage than normal to operate (overclocked)

You will see no improvement from going to 4-8 gigs. Ram really doesn't make your computer faster, just how much it can handle. And really no programs added together require more than 4 gigs at this point.

Ram really doesn't make your computer faster, just how much it can handle.

Well yeah i guess, but if you have 512mb like me and do 3d work, then a 2GB upgrade will speed up your pc because it wont have to read/write from the harddrive to make up for the lack of space. So it will.

But not from 4Gigs to 8Gigs.

You will over tax your cpu before you fill up 8 gigs of memory. There is a reason only multi processor servers have that much memory.

If you have a skultrail based system then it would make more sense. But who actually has one?

I would only get 8GB's if you really know what you're doing, because you really don't need 8GB's YET, but future games surely will, but if you think you can just pop 8GB's in, and start playing, YOUR WRONG. when you add 8GB's of RAM, nearly every pc has to bump the RAM Voltage from 1.8V to about 2.1V, or even more. Also you might have to add more Voltage to your SB, and NB. Other wise your computer will fail on every boot. So I would add 8GB's but I just want you to know it ain't plug-and-play, like veryone thinks it is usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom