8800GTX + 8400GS Not SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IO.Relentless

Solid State Member
Hi i added a 8400GS graphics card to my computer in the hope to be able to use a Third monitor but i cannot get my computer to reconize the second card attall!

Motherboard ASUS P5N-E SLI

Any ideas how i can get the motherboard to reconize the card? there is a chip on the mobo that needs to be turned round to enable dual cards i have done this and still does not work :(

Thanks, any help would really be great!

Relentless.

did you install the drivers for the 8400gs? (you must make sure you install for that card and not both)

I have installed it but the driver supports both cards so the display adapter is still coming up as the 8800GTX. Should i uninstall the driver completely and then install the one on the CD?

Thanks.

I don't know if it is possible to use two different pci-e graphics cards in that manner.

It is much more common to use a simple pci graphics card in conjunction with a higher end pci-e card.

Well i did some research and posted around alot of people seem to say it is possible :S bloody hope it is!

Anyone know of anyone who has managed it?!

Thanks again.

Relentless.

It's possible. First things first, change that jumper/chip back to non-sli. You want the board reading the 2 cards as 2 cards, not an SLI setup. Install both cards. Disable the 2nd card in the hardware manager. REboot. When it comes back up, enable the card and it should ask you for the drivers then force a reboot.

It's possible. First things first, change that jumper/chip back to non-sli. You want the board reading the 2 cards as 2 cards, not an SLI setup. Install both cards. Disable the 2nd card in the hardware manager. REboot. When it comes back up, enable the card and it should ask you for the drivers then force a reboot.

veedub is god...he speaks the truth.

Thanks alot! the problem is the second card does not come up in the hardware manager! (By hardware Manager you mean Device manager right?) Because the driver for both cards is the same how do i install the 8800GTX and then the 8400GS?

Thanks alot!

Relentless.

No if i go into device manager under display adapters all i see is 8800GTX. The card is powered on and the fans are moving, everything.

Any ideas or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks Again.

Relentless.

EDIT:

Take a look:

monitors.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom