8800gt 256mb SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricanflow

Golden Master
Has anyone seen a bench on how these guys perform in SLI?

I have something planned, but want to see if the performance increase from one card to two is enough for me to justify the purchase. I know 3dmark06 will benefit for sure, but i want game performance, preferably cod4.

i think it would be jsut the same as 2 8800gt 512's in sli now that you would get 512 mb of mem from both of them, unless your running a large res

i think it would be jsut the same as 2 8800gt 512's in sli now that you would get 512 mb of mem from both of them, unless your running a large res

Thats what i was thinking, since theres two cards the 256mb frame buffer bottleneck would be gone. I game at 1680x1050 currently.

Sell the 256mb card on ebay and buy a 512 for just a bit more

That would be a much more solid upgrade.

Ive been wanting and sli setup so bad... and wanna be different with dual 256's. I saw a nice score about a month back on ORB with a dual 256mb SLI rig, but cant find it now.

Im not ready to give up my card...i paid $209 plus shipping for it and just dropped a $47 cooler on it.

My plan is to get another 8800gt 256mb for cheap, throw the same cooler on it, and run those suckers in SLI.

Id have to get an SLI mobo, but thats not an issue because i know which one i would be getting and i have plans for my current one as well.

the new 4xxx series are about to come out....and shortly after that nvidias new lineup....both of which will completely slaughter a SLI 8800GT setup.

I'd just hang on for awhile

I wouldn't buy any 256MB cards now anyways... I talked to a palit representative recently and he explained why there is a sudden appearance of single 1gb cards such as the 8800 gt 1gb. Just like how games are optimized for Dual core cpu's and now quads, the games engines are also sometimes optimized for more ram on the gpu. I saw a benchmark comparison of a 8800 gt 512 and an 8800 gt 1gb in UT3 and then Bioshock. UT3 was a slightly older game and the frame rates were the same for the most part on both cards on all resolution, but bioshock has the updated game engine of UT3 and is obviously newer and the benchmarks were somewhere around 10-15 fps better on the 1gb card. Also for crysis the frame rates started to climb with the 1gb card with higher resolution, even though its such a crappily coded game.

Plus about the 40 buck cooler u just put on it. you can put that on any 8800 gt so thats not a problem.

Ya i'd follow the others advice and wait for the newer card.

Oh and the Palit guy gave me a look when i mentioned the 4xxx series and he didn't say out right but he basically hinted that the 4xxx series is going to be a surprise for all and that people are going to be very pleased. I just hope it's enough with all the good **** nvidia has lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom