8800gs hit a wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harnar123

Daemon Poster
730/1710/1075 seams to be the wall. If I got above 730, evga precision says its unstable. I am hitting about 63c max, but once I put my leaf blower thermalake back on for exhaust I should be going at 60c again. I am thinking I have hit a wall and now need more voltage to add more mhz. Is there any way to mod the evga voltage tweaker software to work with my card? I don't know if I am comfortable doing a hard mod as I don't really know jack about soldering. Any ideas would be great as I am confident I have not hit a thermal wall.

If you have to extensively modify the PCB to get more out of it, it may not be worth it. Just leave it where it is and save for a card that will perform to the levels that you want or need. Not too sure on other software voltage tweaks tho..

Or look into a liquid loop to bring the temps down to help it stabilize a little more. My OC'd 4870 sits at 30* loaded now.. :D but it's 50* in the basement where the computer is.

I get what your saying, but I really think its just a volt wall. As the reason it even gets to 63c is because my heater out is right by my computer :(. Anyways, I popped it out and now have a 4870 1gb. Plus I just don't see water cooling being worth in, considering I run in the realm of ultimate bank for my buck. Especially since (correct me if I am wrong) you often have to buy new waterblocks when you upgrade cpu/gpu. And seeing as the 8800gs is prob worth about 50$, spending 30 on a water block doesn't really seam to make sense.

730/1710/1075 seams to be the wall. If I got above 730, evga precision says its unstable. I am hitting about 63c max, but once I put my leaf blower thermalake back on for exhaust I should be going at 60c again. I am thinking I have hit a wall and now need more voltage to add more mhz. Is there any way to mod the evga voltage tweaker software to work with my card? I don't know if I am comfortable doing a hard mod as I don't really know jack about soldering. Any ideas would be great as I am confident I have not hit a thermal wall.

Meh, use riva tuner. dont listen to stupid EVGA precision. riva tuner to overclock and furmark to test for stability. With good cooling, you should be able to hit like 750 core.

I know man, I didn't listen to it. And I saw some rainbow lights, and that kanye song "flashing lights" started playing. I mean I got ventilation like a mofo. I honestly think I hit a volt wall. If I had the 768mb I might have more motivation. Now I am just debating whether I should sell it or keep it for when I sell mm 4870 right before launch of the next round of gfx cards.

I know man, I didn't listen to it. And I saw some rainbow lights, and that kanye song "flashing lights" started playing. I mean I got ventilation like a mofo. I honestly think I hit a volt wall. If I had the 768mb I might have more motivation. Now I am just debating whether I should sell it or keep it for when I sell mm 4870 right before launch of the next round of gfx cards.

What are you smoking?

you can't smoke the stuff I am doing, jk. Anyways, this thread is done, please close mods. If you wanna play with it philbar, I am sure it one of the best as far as the 8800gs models and spinoffs are concerned. Send me a pm if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom