Here's my motherboard and CPU combo...

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
HP motherboard name: Limestone-GL8E

945G chipset by the way...

PentiumD 820 (S) DC 2.8 GHz:

800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775

In the BIOS, the frequency and multiplier are both locked. If I switch to a 9xx D series will this solve the problem or is it my motherboard? Also, will the 9xx series work with this motherboard? If I get a new motherboard for the 9xx, I've been advised to get the
975 chipset cause it will handle the upcoming Core Duo. Is this correct?

uh, the core duo isnt upcoming. its already here and it's only in laptops. do u mean the conroes? all of intels new desktop chips r socket 775 right now so everything is compatible. theres also 775 BTX tho and thats different. but LGA's r fine. 800's have a lock on their multiplier

u could get the 975 chipset but the only chip that would really use that kind of power is the intel 955 cpu and its dual-core (if thats what u meant about core duo) which is selling for about 1200USD right now. That chip gives u a specific option to OC and ppl have been able to get it up to 5.4GHz. its just a pain in the butt to buy. and if u have that kind of money, amd's fx-60 is a little better and 100 cheaper.

however, i suggest u wait until late this summer when the conroes come out IF u plan on getting a new chip cuz those r going to be twice as good as todays in some cases.

Yeah, sorry I meant the Desktop version of the Core Duo...Conroe. But I'm assuming those are gonna be really spendy, so I was thinking I might snatch up one of the 9xx series and overclock it late April when prices drop. And on that thinking, I might as well get a new motherboard that will support the upcoming Conroe so I can upgrade to that later one...I guess that could wait though. I also don't think the motherboard I have now is very good for overclocking, but I could be wrong.

actually the conroes r gonna be about 1/2 price of the 9xx series right now. The conroe 6600 chip they tested vs. the fx-60 and beat it by 20% is going to sell for around 340-400USD so u might wanna wait. The extreme conroes will prolly sell for higher. But for 400 max and ur beating a 1100 dollar chip right now? I'd go for it. I know I am. But if u really don't wanna wait u should get the 955. It's based on the new 65nm architecture that most near-future chips will be based on and u can OC it like crazy on stock heatsink and fan since the temps r lower.

Wow, I didn't think the new Conroe's would be so cheap. I was expecting a $800 + chip. I've also decided that if I'm going to change soon, it'll be a complete overhaul to AMD X2's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom