790i ultra watercooled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaaxx

Baseband Member
hey you guys,
i've got a nice question for ya,
i currently own a Reserator 1V2 that i would like to cool my complete computer down (including 2 extra rads but thats off-topic).
anyways the problem im facing is ive got a XFX 790i Ultra motherboard,
id like to cool the northbridge and southbridge but if ud take a look at the board you'll see that the heatsinks run all the way around
would id be okay for me to take the whole thing off and just cool the NB and SB? or am i gonna have to get an extra waterblock those 2 parts.

please get back to me ASAP

thanks a million,
MAXX

there is really no reason for cooling the south bridge it doesn't handle enough stuff to where u run a lot of voltage though it, most people who do world records with ln2 just slap a old SB heat sink on there that they got off an old board

all you really need to cool on most systems (that is to say almost all, unless you're taking it to the absolute extreme... in which case you'd go for ln2 or a cascade, not water) is the GPU, CPU and (possibly... its not really essential unless you really wanna crank your FSB) the NB... the rest of the mobo doesnt get hot enough that it can possibly effect the performance of your rig

thanks for your replies but the main issue here is the fact that the whole metalwork of heatsinks is attached to each other, im not sure what the heatsinks on the left n top are cooling but i know that the whole thing is attached together so if i want to get NB cooling ill have to take the whole thing off and replace every single part with something else =/

thats what im really trying to say... you can just rip the whole setup off and leave all but the NB uncooled... the other parts wont generate enough heat to effect anything

i suppose you could also just chop the pipes that connect the NB sink and the rest of the assembly with some wire cutters and then crimp them up and rip the NB sink off by itself

thats what im really trying to say... you can just rip the whole setup off and leave all but the NB uncooled... the other parts wont generate enough heat to effect anything

Wrong, running the SB bare on a 790i will fry it.

To the op. Ditch the Reserator system. It's aluminium and is just asking for Corrosion.

In terms of what you'd have to do. Buy a replacement southbridge HSF, they usually run about 10-15 bucks.

Purchase a Northbridge water block. Usually run between 30 and 50 bucks depending on brand. Only go for EK, Swiftech or Danger Den.

Purchase after market heatsinks for the mosfets that surround the cpu socket. You will need two peices of these. Look at Thermalright and Viperjohn for these pieces. They also can be water cooled but will cost a fair amount.

In the end, my advice to you is this.

Ditch the Zalman water cooling and pick up some proper parts. Petra's Tech Shop stocks all the best bits. If they are out of stock of somethiong you want take a look at Sidewinder Computers - Supplier of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts or Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom