7800GTX questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PZEROFGH

Golden Master
if i pair a 7800GTX with a DFI lanparty nF4 Ultra-D mobo, 1 gig of OCZ enhanced latency. and the processor is an amd athlon 64 3000+ would that be bottlenecking that i should get a better processor for the video card?

Games are more gpu based, and the CPU doesn't really make a huge difference, as long as it isn't a very week one.

The AMD 64 3000 is compareable to a 3.4ghz P4. http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-15.html#directx_9 and as you can see it doesn't make a huge difference getting a better CPU.

And you can always overclock, as you have the best board for overclocking. Paired up with a Venice core, you can get a high overclock.

Their's a bit of a bottleneck, but that can be relived by overclocking :)

Your link doesnt link to a build

Technically your GPU will be bottlenecked, yes. Frankly though you'll get such an immediate boost from the sheer power of a 7800 GTX that you won't care less about the 'weak' CPU restricting the card. The only real area where you'll gain a little from having a more powerfull CPU is in highly physics-intensive areas of, say, HL2.

you'll notice a bottleneck when you try and play gary's mod for HL2, but then again, the rocket launcher lags on FX 57's

I really don't think it will be a bottleneck as much as you are saying, as it is not like, not having enough ram, where there is no where to store the information, so the PC uses the HDD.

Gary's version is probally badly made, but I never heard of it before.

Gary's mod is soo powerful

You could make it lag on a 100ghz AMD processor on the same artechture easily.

Once your building something like a house, all it takes is one little explosion to have a million object collision's

that link leads to an

aspire x-infinity case w/ 350watt psu

1 120mm aspire red case fan

2 powmax 80mm red case fan

DFI lanparty nF4 ultra-D

eVGA 256MB 7800GTX w/ bf2

aspire 500watt psu

amd athlon 64 3000+

1 gig OCZ enhanced latency

plus OCing to about 2.4 on stock

1077 dollars minus 10 mail in rebate so a total of 1066 without shipping

in this link
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/athlon_64_geforce_7800_gtx_scaling/page13.asp
as you can see that on the lowest quality thers a pretty big different between the fx and the 3000+ but on the higher settings with aa and af its pretty much the same

i may OC to about the 3500 range

OR

x-infinity w/ 350watt

aspire 500 watt

DFI lanparty nF4 ultra-D

1 gig of OCZ enhanced latency

amd athlon 64 3700+ san diego,

eVGA 7800GTX w/ bf2

1,259 with shipping and everything

is the first one betteer, or the second one, im thinking the second one.
but then the case may get HOT, and i cant afford any more case fans.
i could go with OCZ 1 gig performance series for 112 dollars and buy some case fans with the extra 10 dollars i got...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom