6GHz Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I wish you were right, but what kind of logic is that...people have put 2V through Wolfdale chips for crazy OCs but that doesn't mean 1.6V is fine

1.6V is pushing it on 90nm, let alone 45nm
1.6V is fine on 90nm. I know from experience.
I ran my 6000+ at about 1.55-1.6V 24/7, and when overclocking went up to about 1.725

And yes, these are different to Intel chips. I am quite sure AMD's chips can hande it.

I'll be happy to eat my words when proven wrong, but I think to even theorize, let alone be "quite sure" that 1.6V will be fine for 24/7 on Deneb is completely daft.

And I have experience with 90nm AMD chips as well, I know that 1.6V is pretty much the extreme upper limit of running 24/7 and it's sort of risky...just like the Q6600. Lots of people have run their Conroes and Kentsfields at 1.6V for ages...but it's not something many would do.

I'll be happy to eat my words when proven wrong, but I think to even theorize that 1.6V will be fine for 24/7 on Deneb is completely daft.

And I have experience with 90nm AMD chips as well, I know that 1.6V is pretty much the extreme upper limit of running 24/7 and it's sort of risky...just like the Q6600. Lots of people have run their Conroes and Kentsfields at 1.6V for ages...but it's not something many would do.
It's only really risky if you haven't got the cooling for it. Or if you forget to also increase the HTT voltage somewhat.

I've heard that the K8 IMC can sometimes be killed if the core voltage is too high vs the HTT voltage, but other than that, Windsor take voltage pretty well.

*edit*
Intel don't use SOI like AMD/IBM do, so the properties of their chips are going to be different.

I'm a little skeptical because of he lack of validation, NDA or not. But it looks like one of the major setbacks to phenom is gone.

We really have no information on how silicon germanium transistors react to high voltage, so I'm not going to say either way. Now only if they could fix the other shortcomings with Phenom......

actually i think you'll find there's plenty of information about si-ge transistors... from what i know of SGOI devices (which is minimal at best, but at least its something), the increase in potential clock speed decreases as voltage increases at a more rapid rate (than SOI) due to the atomic spacing being larger (ie you'll have to increase the voltage of an SGOI chip more than the voltage of an SOI chip to achieve the same increase in clock speed)... si-ge based chips will, however, perform better at lower voltages and currents than an SOI chip for the very same reason

so, if i understand this right (which i might not, so dont hold me to it), we will be able to get some pretty gnarly clocks on Deneb cores, but it will require some insane voltages and therefore some insane cooling

I'm a little skeptical because of he lack of validation, NDA or not.
well how about this for some validation:
PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2 - Page 2 - XtremeSystems Forums
Tony has confirmed it.
Tony said:
Now guys lets remember we have not seen facts and figures yet...:) but the clock speeds are true, Macci was in full control and I am sure there is more to come.

I just think its great as a consumer we have what looks to be some awesome competition now...we need both players in the game to keep pricing what we can afford after all ;)

So the Deneb chips are supposed to be the big bad boys like the X2 6000+ and X2 6400+?

Apparently Protos is supposed to have the same OC potential without the L3 cache. Bad trade off really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom