6800gs unlockable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
The 6800GS AGP card is unlockable.I tried to unlock the 4 extra pixel pipelines and 1 vertex shader and it was all distorted in windows, everything was shifted and looked bad. When I only unlock the vertex shader however everything works.

Is the reason my 4 extra pipelines dont work driver related or is it probably because the pipes are physically damaged?

Most likely physically damaged.... **** why can the AGP cards be unlocked and not the PCI Express?

**** I guess I just got a non unlockable card :(. The reason the agp ones can sometimes be unlocked is because they use the nv40 gpu which has 16 pipelines. Sometimes the pipelines are just messed up so they throw the chips into a 6800nu or a 6800gs. The good ones go into 6800gt or 6800ultra. They sometimes have too many of one type so will throw a good one into a gs, which is why it can then be unlocked. However mine cant I guess since they appear to be physicly damaged. Overall though the 6800gs PCIE is better because it clocks much higher.

Edit: My card idles at 52 degrees celcius, is that good or bad for a 6 series card? I will probably overclock it once I get a fan that sits below the card, see if I can break 5k in 3dmark. Not being able to unlock those pipelines really bugs me, seems like I always have the worst luck of the draw.

Well mine idles at 39 degrees celcius with it overclocked as much as its gonna go...at full load it gets to the 50's, i havent seen it hit 60's. But idk if theres a difference between pci-e and agp for temps.

My buddy's 6800GT agp idles in the 50's and peaks in the 80's....so i would imagine your safe.

I broke 6k in 3dmark w/ mine, GL.

I get about 4.5k 3dmark which is decent, Probably can OC to 5k. The PCIE version is better forsure, just wish I could have unlocked the pipelines. No worries though, even without the pipelines I can ride this comp for another 2 years now playing new games on medium probably. The most popular games out are never terrible graphicly intensive either, CSS will probably be the main game for another few years.

I stress this as much as I possibly can.. video cards can handle the heat.. end of story.. unless its making other parts of your system overheat it doesnt matter.. THE THRESHOLD IS 120C thats so far over your load temps so stop worrying..

my other card was running @ 90c during load.. this one is about 80.. I am adding a blowhole (not because of video card temps) ill let you know if that drops any

but please stop worrying about your temps unless they are in the 100's even then if its not crashing/locking/artifacting, u are safe

btw i thought the pci-e was unlockable and people were worried that agp may not be??? has anyone with pci-e even tried?

ricardo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom