6800 Ultra OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
Sup guys,

Ive got a quick question that's probably been asked several times. I tried using the 'search' function first, but it wouldnt work. Anyway......

I've been OC'ing my 6800 Ultra 'slightly' today for the first time. About how high can these cards be overclocked on a normal basis? Bareing in mind that I have stock cooling, how far do you think I should push it for the first time?

So far I've only cranked her up to 435/1110.

If nVidias nMonitor is correct, my card idles at about 57-58 degrees celsius. I don't wanna fry anything. LOL

Thanks for the help all.

I believe the maximum safe temp on the 6800 ultra is 130c. 1110 is hardly anything on the memory, you could probably do 1150-1200 pretty easily. 435 is probably close to the max of the core. In short, you can OC it until you start seeing artifacts in games.

Well, I'm kinda dissapointed. I upped my speeds to 440/1115. Ran like a champ until the last test on 3dmark06. There was sparkeling in the snow that wasnt supposed to be there. I lowered the speeds to 435/1110...........Same thing! I must have lucked out and got the only 6800 Ultra that can't be OC'd worth a crap. ugh.

reggie_da_man said:
Well what brand is it?

Umm........to be honest I'm not really sure. Everest says nVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra, thats all.

I'll look inside the case and see if I can tell later.

Well youd figure w/ a vcore bump on the GPU for an ultra that it would OC better but it dosent. The GTs are actualy the OC beasts for that gen and the ultra was well.........just the ultra. Your OC wont mean much anyways on that setup.

try and increase the GPU only until you get artifacts (the "snowy" stuff you saw in 3dmark06)
then reduce it to a bit before it artifacted

after that, increase the memory only until you get artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom