64bit/motherboard questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUXA

Solid State Member
Long story short my motherboard and CPU fried randomly (i have no idea how it fried. Left it on for a few ours, came back and everything was dead) Anyway, I'm forced to buy a new processor and motherboard, but I have to use my old parts for cost reasons. So here are a few noobish questions.

I plan on getting either AMD's 64 bit 3400+, or the 3500 Socket 939. I big into games and I'm wondering is the 939 socket worth the price for the performance (about 60 bucks more and im on a budget)?

My second questions is what motherboard would you recommend? I have 3 sticks of 512mb, pc2700, 233 or 333 MHz ram and I need to use them. Im having trouble figuring out if my ram will work on any motherboards that support either the 3400bit or the 3500 939 socket.

Thirdly, I'm curious to know if windows xp 64bit is necessary for 64 bit processors or does it simply make the computer more compatible.

Thanks for any advice given. I'm mostly concerned about not having to buy any new ram. Thanks again

I know that windows 64 bit is not required for the 64bit CPUS from amd. Havn't hear much anything of issues with the two. Although AMD 64s will (or so everyone thinks) work with the new windows LongHorn when it comes out.

About the Ram -- I think it will work as it is DDR. But the MB can run better ram so putting that in will probably just limit your preformance, not that it will be bad, but you could be getting more. Athough you do have 3 sticks, so who knows.

Does anyone know if the 3500 Socket 939 will be worth the extra cash over the 3400 Socket 754? or will my ram be what holds back my computer?

So here's what ive gathered from doing a little research. the 3500 socket 939 is just about par with the 754 was far as preformence though. But there is a big catch. the AMD is not going to produce anything beyond the 754. Even though the 3500 is 60 bucks more expensive now its going to be the better investment in the long run since you wont be able to upgrade from the 754.

I'm leaning towards teh 939 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom