$500 PC Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celerons are slower than molasses on a january day (in Canada)

I have the same celeron cept at 2.4ghz and they are slow. The lack of L2 CACHE really hurts

Well what about a Celeron D like this one:

Intel Celeron D "315" 2.26 GHz, 533MHz FSB, 256K L2 Cache Processor - Retail

It's got a higher FSB and larger L2 cache, though it isn't as big a the P4 Ropponmatsu has listed. Does he really need a large L2 cache like that if he isn't going to be gaming? I ask cause I really don't know what all it's good for. If you say that Celeron isn't worth it though I'll take your word for it. Most of you seem pretty knowledgable from the other threads I've read. BTW what's the diference between OEM and retail besides the box it comes in?

Thanks

Slower Processer, slow Cache, worthless to a extent.

Put the few extra dollars in and use the suggested above.

We've been discussing the difference between OEM and Retail in another topic just there now.

OEM is just the processer - no heatsink, fan's, thermalpaste etc.

Retail - you get everything which you would do if you are going to buy it from a shop - heatsink etc.

But OEM is normally better because it saves you alot of money allowing you to buy another BETTER heatsink then the stock one you get with retail.

oem includes just the chip petail includes the chip, insrtuctions and no heatsink fan (you need one of these)

amd xp/abit nfs-7/1 gig ram/80 gig sata should do

maybe even amd 64 2800/cheap nf3 mobo?

i built my comp on a budget of 500 buckas well. my specs are
p-4 1.8ghz @ 2.3ghz
512mb pc2700
256 stick of pc3200
abit is7-e2
eVGA 5600ultra
aspire x-infinity with case 5 case fans
athenapower 450w power supply
80gig hdd
10gig hdd
zalman 7000 cu w/120mm fan

total cost $470

Aspire that looks like a good rig. I've messin round on www.newegg.com though and come up with this.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail

ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

Corsair Value Select Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6E040L0, OEM Drive only

Lite-On Beige 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5235K BEIGE, OEM

Alps Beige 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model DF354H068F, OEM

Atrix COLORSit Black Mid-Tower Case with Blue light bars and temperature display at front, Model "CSCI-L8004-C43" -RETAIL

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 -OEM

and for some reason newegg threw this in too, but I don't know why.
Anyways, total comes to $470.61, plus $34.04 shipping for a grand total of $504.65. Does all that stuff seem like a decent setup? And is that case any good? I don't know what to look for, I'm just trying to keep under $500 after shipping. You guys have all givin me great ideas though. I've probably been through about a dozen different setups today. Thanks for all the suggestions and all feed back on the setup I listed is more than welcome.

Thanks

I would say Newegg is the best site online to order hardware. I use the P4P800 Deluxe in my current rig and I'm very pleased with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom