Is 43* hot for a slight OC'd Quad?? (kind of long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
CLIFFS AT THE BOTTOM.. If some don't want to follow the story line..

My buddy keeps preaching me this Liquid cooled business.. I sent him a screen shot of my AMD Overdrive OC software.. "I don't need to run all that expensive stuff."

Don't mind the IM trail here..
(Below)He was referring to the PC Prob screen shot I sent him of MY OC endeavors.. He is STRICTLY against it and had had a lot of bad luck with it, so he swore to me never to do it.. I'm doin it and I'm fine.. Rig runs awesome! :D

I'm 'do0d350'
modifiedss: 43* = 109.4*f
modifiedss: thats kind of hot
do0d350: apparently 80* is hot..
do0d350: according to martin..
do0d350: the board says 32-43* is normal
modifiedss: celcius
do0d350: yeah
modifiedss: anything over 100 is hot in farenheight
do0d350: if it gets hotter, then you need to turn the juice down
do0d350: it's stable
modifiedss: or get liquid cooling :)
do0d350: runs fine
do0d350: Apparently liquid cooling is only really needed for EXTREME overclocking
modifiedss: not true
modifiedss: liquid cooling will keep you processor at about 65*f
do0d350: mine stays constant... I may look into it again.. but I think a HUGE heat sink is kind of cool
modifiedss: almost like having ac in your pc
do0d350: what your CPU M/G?
modifiedss: big heat sinks will keep i cool too
do0d350: what it running at?
modifiedss: dont know
do0d350: that's what I've got
modifiedss: i dont run all that extra software on my pc
do0d350: ginormous heat sink... LOL
do0d350: ridiculously large.... lol
modifiedss: lol
modifiedss: imagine running antifreeze through it
do0d350: it's not expensive.. you can get the Torrent.. PC Probe.. It just shows your stats,..
do0d350: it came w/ my MB CD
modifiedss: mine came with that s**t too
modifiedss: i have no need for it
modifiedss: my pc runs fine
do0d350: what did your CPU run * before the Liquid?
modifiedss: virus free :)
modifiedss: prolly in the 100s
do0d350: it's just a program that tells you what your system is doing.. AMD Overdrive is the OC software.
modifiedss: this pc has always been liquid cooled

My buddy is running a NON OC'd AMD 939 pin 64X2 4200 CPU w/ liquid cooling. I'm running a slightly OC'd Phenom 9950 Quad w/ 4 Gigs RAM and a GOOD 790FX MoBo, stays constant 43* during gaming, MoBo stays 38* during gaming, according to PC Probe II.

Is liquid cooling REALLY necessary, or will a large heat sink suffice? I personally don't see a need for it if your running HIS setup (especially), or even mine... Personally.
I've also got an Antec 900 case w/ a total of 13 fans in this darn thing.. It's not really loud, and stays stable when OC'd.. (It's not even PUSHING what this Quad can do).. Sometimes he gets to me because he seems biased about what HE is running.. Granted he got me started in this and I ran with it, but I really don't see a need for Liquid cooling this thing.. Unless it will DRASTICALLY improve my performance. (Please post the the link for the small company that sells the GOOD L C kits.. I lost it)

Bottom line: Is 43*c hot for an air cooled rig (during gaming/When loaded -The rig in my Signature)?

You probably won't like the performance increase price/performance wise if you get a water cooling set. If you can get that 9950 to hit 3.00ghz with air cooling, thats probably the best thing you could do.

^Hmm... THat's what I figured.. I told him earlier that if I was to PUSH this thing, then yeah.. I'd get the liquid kit.. but for now.. I really don't see that I need it..

What was that link to that smaller company (so it seems) that sells the kits? I think it was like a stage II or something.. I'm gonna Crossfire this board soon, so I'd like dual GPU coolers... (I think I've been subconsciously 1-up'ing him for a while now.. LOL)

Secondary Question.. If I SLI this w/ dual 4870 1G cards, do I need L C to them? Is it really necessary?

He has a Phenom X4 9950.... you know like AMD.

Oh for load, my computer loads at about that temperature as well. Usually in the 30's some times in the mid 40's if the room is hot and the heater is blasting.

It's an AMD Phenom 9950 running about 2.8G.. not much really.. I've seen these go to 3.2g easily, but the stock AMD software won't let me go that high.. I think 2.9 is the most they will let me go.. I've tried it and it'll still st at a constant 43* loaded.. I've, really, never seen it hotter than that.. It was still crashing at that time, mostly because something with the south bridge SATA driver, I had my OS HD plugged into.. Still not sure.. This computer performs GREAT as a MM rig, but it acts weird if I leave it on for two days.. My CD drive disappeared for some reason... Just small stuff like that.. (Compared to my old 939 pin 64 X2 4200 POS model)

As far as the temp comments; that's what I thought.. I didn't think that this was out of the ordinary.. I asked my buddy martin and he said that 80*c is HOT for a CPU..

You shouldn't let a CPU get over 70-80*C usually. That's starting to get pretty hot, and not really a good thing =P.

Oh and can't you OC through the BIOS on an AMD chip? You should really do that instead of through software. Much more stable of a clock that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom