3500+ Venice - XP-90 showing no improvement over stock HS/F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exi

Baseband Member
Subject explains it all. The temperatures have not changed at ALL according to the BIOS (v1.9), MBM, and Speedfan on my MSI K8N Neo2-F.

Nice layer of AS5 is between the base and the IHS, and there's a 90mm fan spinning at ~1200 rpm on top of it. On a P4 2.60c system, this heatsink showed an amazing improvement.

Is burn-in really going to explain why I don't see at least a few degrees C difference right off the bat? I would think there would at least be some indication that there's a huge block of yumminess sitting on top of my 3500+ temperature-wise.

What's your ambient temperature and your CPU voltage?

If your ambient is too high, then you can't expect your HSF to change your entire room's temp to cool down your CPU lol. And if your CPU voltage is too high, then air cooling might not be able to handle it (although i doubt it's too high.)

... ew. Yeah, Speedfan's saying 42C, and two probes I have set up near the front of the case are at 35C and 38C - so that sucks. I know that's a bit high, but I had the same exact situation on the P4 system (which was in the same case, an Antec P160) - and I've got both 120mms running, so what else can I do to cool this thing down? :X

The fan is only turning at 1200? It should be going much faster than that to see any result. Stock HSF spin really fast.
I'd crank that baby up to about 2100ish, thats where my Zalman7000 is at and i idle around 36C.
I have the P160, there is nice airflow in that case, so that shouldn't be the problem.
-Joe

That fan came with a fairly mediocre PCI bracket controller, guess I could go give that a shot.

The other problem is that I have three hard drives in this box sitting right behind the 120mm intake, so that doesn't help. (They're also running fairly hot according to Speedfan.) Probably going to screw with the cabling tomorrow to try to spread them out as much as I can...

Are you using the stock 120s that came with the case? Any controllers of any sort you concocted to use with those four-pin connections?

i bought the nice clear antec fans with the three pin connecters, and they are moderated by my motherboard.

Make sure you dont have any cables obstructing the flow between the harddrives and mobo.

I'd get a faster 120 for the front, that should help a bit.
-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom