3500+ Venice - what to expect at stock vcore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exi

Baseband Member
I should be getting a 3500+ Venice (and nf3u board) tomorrow to take the place of my current (slowly dying) P4 2.6c + Lanparty PRO875B. Now, this is my first venture into AMD-land, and even though I've done a lot of reading here and at XS, I'm still not quite sure what people are averaging as far as overclocks on default voltage.

My P4 is being crabby after having been well over default voltage (but far below the so-called limit of 1.7v) for a few months, so tinkering much with voltage has me concerned now. :p

There is no average really...you need to check the steppings and info on the CPU also before you put it into your system.

It was up to the week 17's that did exceptionally well and the ones after that were iffy...they'd still OC ok but not necessaril 2.8GHz on air like week 15's and whatnot were.

Beyond that no one can possibly give you an estimation for an overclock....overclocking isn't an exact science

wait, is he asking how much he can get on stock heatsink. or on stock voltage?

looks like he just said stock voltage, which I'm just assuming that if he's curious about stock voltage he'll probably be using a stock heatsink....if he had a good aftermarket then voltage wouldn't matter because he could take care of the heat anyway
but yeah I forgot to address it as stock voltage, and went to explain how well certain weeks OC

voltage. Of course OCing isn't an exact science; as a new AMD user, I was just curious as to what can be done without changing the vcore.

I have an XP-90 that was going to go on this thing tomorrow. It's also been keeping this P4 fairly cool, and it's still seemingly on its way out thanks to overvolting, which is why I was asking. :)

as a new AMD user, I was just curious as to what can be done without changing the vcore.
Regardless....as I say, it's impossibly to tell you how far it'd go....it might not want to budge a single MHz for all we know.

Depends on the CPU itself, the week it's made, how well the board you're using performs without giving problems, etc...etc..

I've seen the week 15's hit a few hundred MHz OC's even with stock voltages, while week 20's might go only 100MHz

It's basically a way of identifying a group of processors that come from the same production line, and generally share the same characteristics, such as overclockability, DOAs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom