350-400 left to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAYBE you should wait till after Christmas, and see if you aquire some more cash, and then you have a little mor leg room and the people here can open up with newer options.

Not to get pushy, but three of the four most important parts of the computer for that budget, ona 64bit system, its kinda close.

Either way - with what you have so far keep looking in 64 bit direction/.

Ok, so whats the best HSF for damn socket a? and whats an average overclock estimate.
Is an overclocked xp-m betta than a 3000+ 64
The SLK line from Thermalright is pretty good. It's what I've got and it's solid copper. Weighs a fair amount too. It doesn't come with a fan but generally good aftermarket heatsinks don't although there still are good ones like the Volcano 12+ Couple that thermalright with a vantec tornado and cooling won't be a problem, but sound will be. The tornado's are loud. I have a fan controller so I keep mine at halfway most of the time unless I'm gaming but then I have headphones on so I can't hear it anyway.

As far as estimated OC it generally varies from person to person of course, but I have yet to see a XP-M barton core that didn't hit ATLEAST a minimum of a stock 3200+ XP which is 2.2GHz which currently would be better than a 3000+ AMD64 which is stock 1.8GHz....the 64 however does have twice as much L2 cache but until a 64bit OS comes out to fully utilize that 64bit processing the 400MHz over that chip will be more noticable towards the speed of your system.

There's atleast 3 people here including myself that have an NF7-S v2 motherboard and XP-M chip and none of us had a problem hitting 2.2GHz. I'm sitting at 2.5 although I can get it to run 100% stable at 2.7GHz I choose not to run it that high because it requires a lot of voltage and a little more heat.

4W4K3 has the same board, but has a 5w 2600+ XP-M and he can hit 2.5GHz on a lower Vcore than I can. Also I believe Leonidas has a 2600+ XP-M and the same board and he also can hit the same speed with a little lower voltage.

At newegg the 35w 2400+ XP-M's are no longer on the website. Don't know why, but they were in high demand and the price kept going up. the 45w 2600+ XP-M will still OC as good if not better than the 35w 2400+ XP-M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom