$3000-3500 gamer pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie_da_man

Fully Optimized
my friend has quite a bit of money and wants me to build him a sweet gamer pc. hes willing to spend about 3000-3500...any suggestions???

NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!!!!

I would suggest an AMD processor, I dont have time to write out what I think you should get, I gotta go visit my dad at the hospital. But definitely AMD. And stick with AGP GPU for now, PCI-E isnt even fully utilized by motherboards now.

And stick with AGP GPU for now, PCI-E isnt even fully utilized by motherboards now.
What???? Why would you do that with his budget? Definately go PCI-e for upgradability.

Does he need monitor, keyboard, mouse etc, or just the box?

Umm, custom ATX case, AMD64 FX-55 with HyperTransport, 2GB XMS Low-Latency Corsair RAM, 2x Nvidia 6800GT's with SLI.

Then HD's and such.

Well now that I think about it, if you plan on doing a SLI setup than yea, put several hundred bucks into some PCI-E. But if aren't doing SLI dont even bother really. Why? First, too expensive for what you get. Second, in SLI setup, each graphics card deals with the video processing for one half of the screen, so just a single PCI-E graphics card will pretty much equal out to AGP in normal gaming usage, however, SLI easily kicks AGP's ass. But it is also expensive, which goes back to number one. It is really up to you, but for my next rig, more than likely I am going for AGP still.

HTH

Well now that I think about it, if you plan on doing a SLI setup than yea, put several hundred bucks into some PCI-E
Several hundred bucks? Dude, it is barely more expensive. For the video card, per newegg:

eVGA 6800GT AGP - 329
eVGA 6800GT PCI-e - 359

$30 bucks there, maybe another $30 for the mobo? Not a big difference.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with AGP, but buying a NEW system on AGP now would be a misstake.

Dude if you read it right, I was referring to putting in several hundred bucks into SLI. You wont have a decent SLI setup for less. Well I am not gonna argue the issue about which is better. I know the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom