3 diffrent memory choices.. CANT DECIDE! please help =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
My system specs (currently) are:
AMD Athlon FX-57
2gb corsair value ram ddr400
2x nvidia g78gt (upgrading to a g80gtx or a (also notice i said "a"... sli is bologna) x2kxtx come dx10 time)

now obviously the weakest link in my system is the ram. ive learned a LOT since i got my comp, and that's that ram is not just ram if you want to OC. and my ram just isnt cutting it lmao.

now these are my contenders:
OCZ ddr500 3-3-2-8 2048MB (2x1024MB) (~200$)
Corsair XMS ddr550 (idk the timings) 2048MB (2x1024MB) (~300$)
G.Skill ddr600 TCCD 2.5-4-4-8 (i think) 1024MB (2x512MB) (~200$)

im getting this so i can OC my CPU a bit but at the end of the day its all for gaming.. i really want the ddr600 but the 1GB of ram is going to kill me in games like EQ2 (which is the game i play) isn't it? now theres the ddr550 2GB for 100$ more than ddr500 (which is hefty price for 50mhz faster), but i think that 2GB is a neccesity. then theres the ddr500 which i think is the best way to go....
what do you guys think? how much extra performance will i get out of 50mhz? is it worth the extra cash? and is 2gb a neccesity in eq2? will the performance boost of 200mhz (i have ddr400 currently) overcome the fact i have half my memory?
i kind of think the 1GB is out of the question though.. oh well what is all of you guys' thought's?

I Know corsair has great tech support and very well made dual channel kits..... so my thoughts is either the corsair [but first I need to know the timings to tell for sure] or OCZ.

I don't like G Skill too much and its only 1GB anyway..

-Jo

lol, if you downclock them to DDR500 they will work same as OCZ timings at 1T.

Now its a matter of brands, I like Corsair, but if you like OCZ then gofor OCZ ;) .

-Jo/

OCZ has the best tech support of any company i can think of and seems to work better with DFI boards than corsair. that being said it really comes down to your interests. if you are really more interested in overclocking and are manic about it then the G.Skill is probably the best choice. if you are willing to make every sacrifice possible for an overclock then the G.Skill is best. in your case though the OCZ would probably serve you best

but the gaming aspect... 1gb isnt going to cut it for eq2. i've bought the OCZ because ive heard horror stories about corsair's stuff. and with the OCZ i can just set the timings loose to get a great OC. thanks for the input guys.

to the guy up there.. there is nothing wrong with g.skill.. if i were you, with that fx 57 i woulda take then ddr600.. and just gotten 2 gigs of it.. sure i know it'd cost a fortune.. but you'd be able to overclock like crazy..

you're making me sad. that wouldve cost like 400$ though. i got 227$ from my mom, and 100$ in the bank. and i dont wanna spend all my money in the bank =(.
but um.............. how good do you think my 4000 is going to be compared to 3200? what kind of overclock should i expect out of that? think i can get it to 3.0ghz completely stable? i could ALMOST get it to 3.0 with it not crashing on boot with this crappy ram. then i tried it at 2.9 for awhile and it was OKAY; it passed a 12hr test of prime95 but it wouldnt pass a 24hr one. so i just said screw it theres no point in even doing it with this crappy ram even a little bit if i cant get what i want. i didnt change any voltages on the old ram because i was worried since it didnt hacve a heatsink or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom