2nd PSU question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default 2nd PSU question

Ok, a couple months ago i asked about using a 2nd PSU for my computer and I was told that it is ok for a temporary fix, but not a good idea for permanent setup. I understand this, and agree, however I am impatient. My corsair 650tx is here, but I can't use it until x-mas. My current PSU is 300w stock from HP Pav. a6700f prebuilt assumed to be running at close to 100% (i tried to add a 2nd HDD and the computer wouldn't start).

I wanted to get some files from my 2 old HDD, so i figured a temp. 2PSU setup would be ok just to transfer the files to my current HDD. When i set it all up, the computer got to the HP screen where it says "press esc for boot menu, F9 for diagnostics" etc. then the screen turned black and it hung.

the 2 psu setup was done as follows:
1. 2nd psu installed in bottom mount of my case (haf932 top and bottom mount option which i love!)
2. connected a switch to the green and black wires from the 20pin plug of 2nd psu.
3. connected 2nd psu to the 2 extra HDD's and my front intake, top exhaust fans.
4. both of the extra HDD jumpers are set to "slave"
5. my OS HDD is sata, 2 extra's are IDE.

Anybody have any clue of what could be wrong? I only tried to start up once as i am afraid i may damage something. Do IDE drives take startup priority over SATA as a default setting? Would i be able to start the computer up, and then turn on secondary HDD's? What are the chances I may damage something? It's not imperative that i get this setup done, but i did just spend about 2-3 hours rummaging through old parts, and modding stuff to try and get this work. Would be a nice feeling of accomplishment if i can actually do it.

HELP!

Edit: I was rather proud of the fact that the wires that are connected to old 20pin plug were the green/black wires from a busted PSU. I punched out the female pins from the busted's 20pin plug, squeezed the pin tips together making a male pin that plugged in nice and snug into the 2nd PSU's 20pin connector. the switch i used was also from the busted psu too. Nothing goes to waste

Old 10-31-2009, 03:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: 2nd PSU question

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsoul View Post
Anybody have any clue of what could be wrong? I only tried to start up once as i am afraid i may damage something. Do IDE drives take startup priority over SATA as a default setting? Would i be able to start the computer up, and then turn on secondary HDD's? What are the chances I may damage something? It's not imperative that i get this setup done, but i did just spend about 2-3 hours rummaging through old parts, and modding stuff to try and get this work. Would be a nice feeling of accomplishment if i can actually do it.
SET ONE PATA DRIVE TO MASTER AND THEN THE OTHER TO SLAVE (Or just use cable select).

On my motherboard PATA does take priority over SATA. I'm sure this is dependent on the BIOS though, but I could be wrong. Of course, it shouldn't just change if you've been booting from SATA without a problem. First boot up the machine to Windows or whatever your OS is. Once you know it boots properly shut it down. Power up the PATA drives, then power up the computer. Go into your BIOS and make sure they're being recognized.

I've done something similar except with a power supply designed for just a hard drive.

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

ahh, thanks much. I've never had more than 2 HDD in a computer before. I was under the impression that master was for the OS HD, and slave would be for files and such.

What is the purpose of master/slave jumpers, what does it actually do when you set them?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsoul View Post
ahh, thanks much. I've never had more than 2 HDD in a computer before. I was under the impression that master was for the OS HD, and slave would be for files and such.

What is the purpose of master/slave jumpers, what does it actually do when you set them?
Honestly I have no idea, all I know is it helps the IDE controller/BIOS to determine what drives are attached.
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Closed Thread