2600k temps, advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

Over the last few days I upgraded my core2duo system to a 2600k with an asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 mobo, 8gb vengeance ram & a Frio OCK cpu cooler.

Unfortunately I've been having issues with temps.

At stock using the Frio OCK, idle temps are approx. 36-39 degrees Celsius & and about 60 at load with an ambient of approx 20. I've re-seated the cooler about 5-6 times with the same results. At the moment I'm at 4.1GHz with 1.178 vcore with max idle temp 39, max load temp 67.

I'm using Arctic Silver MX-4. Small pea size in the middle.
I've double checked the support bracket, all flush and bolted on correctly.

I see others with vcores of 1.3 and getting these temps?? I want to push this chip further but temps will prevent me even though my vcore is quite low.

Anyone have the same issues or any advice?

Hey everyone,

Over the last few days I upgraded my core2duo system to a 2600k with an asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 mobo, 8gb vengeance ram & a Frio OCK cpu cooler.

Unfortunately I've been having issues with temps.

At stock using the Frio OCK, idle temps are approx. 36-39 degrees Celsius & and about 60 at load with an ambient of approx 20. I've re-seated the cooler about 5-6 times with the same results. At the moment I'm at 4.1GHz with 1.178 vcore with max idle temp 39, max load temp 67.

I see others with vcores of 1.3 and getting these temps?? I want to push this chip further but temps will prevent me even though my vcore is quite low.

Anyone have the same issues or any advice?

I think those temps are OK. I am using a Zalman CNPS10X cooler, and with the fan at highest i idle at 33c.. but mines running stock clock and voltage, as it's not a K version. I get around 36c idle with the fan at lowest.

67c may not be amazingly cool, but on the other hand, i highly doubt its anywhere near the temperature to cause damage or instability.

I would start by getting a good quality paste, AS5 is garbage, I recommend some Tuniq TX-2.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

You really need very little paste, I'd say just a bit smaller than a BB.

I've started using MX-4. I've tried using both my old Big Typhoon (the board has multiple bracket options) and the OCK, both with the same results. I am putting only a very small amount of paste on and have re-seated many times.

I see people getting a few degrees above ambient at idle, ambient is about 20 but my temp on a completely cold start is about 32 but then warms to 36-39.

Considering having an aftermarket cooler I would have thought the temps would have been better.

If you have any ideas, I'd be open to them but wouldn't able to do anything until tomorrow; I'm at work at the moment :( ...but...overtime ftw :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom