24-pin power supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanb0rn

Baseband Member
For a while, I was looking at this motherboard (MSI Neo2 Platinum, AGP graphics), and then I started looking at this one (MSI Neo4 Platinum, PCI Express graphics and SLI), but one of the reviews praised Newegg's service, then blasted MSI for not using standard parts, requiring a 24 pin power supply. I did some searching on Newegg.com and found that 24 pin power supplies can be had, they're not exactly non-standard... but I'm looking at this case, and it comes with a 500w power supply, but I can't tell if it's a 20 pin or 24 pin. :(

I've seen adapters, but I'm not sure about using an adapter. I'd prefer everything be compatible.

For those who are curious, here's my plan for the AGP based computer:

Case: $159 (includes power supply): Aspire X-Gamer
Motherboard: $143 (includes sound, USB2, LAN) (MSI Neo2 Platinum)
CPU: $295: AMD Athlon64 3500+
RAM: $59.99: Wintec 512MB PC3200 DDR 400
Video card: $69.99GeForce 5200 256MB
Hard disk: $179 WD Raptor 10k RPM 74GB

I did not select a CD or DVD drive, because I have this dead Plexwriter that can read, but burns CDs with errors. The plan was to hold off on getting the obligatory 16X DVD burner for ~$60 on my next paycheck. The total on this system comes to USD $905.98.

...And the plans for the PCI Express system:

Case: $159: Aspire X-Navigator Green, 5 fans, 500W power supply, front USB2/Firewire
Motherboard: $189: MSI Neo4 Platinum (other computer had the Neo2 Platinum, was like $143)
CPU: $193: AMD Athlon64 3200+ (other one had the A64 3500+, was like $295)
Memory: $59.78: Wintec 512MB PC3200 DDR 400
Video card: $142: Chaintech 256MB GeForce 6600 PCI-Express (other one had a cheap 256MB GeForce 5200, but it was only $69.99)
Hard drive: $180: Western Digital 74GB Serial ATA 10,000 RPM "Raptor"
DVD Burner: $61.99: NEC 16X DVD +/- RW drive

The total on this one is USD $981.77 but that includes the DVD burner. I'm slightly inclined to go with the PCI Express system; although the processor is slower, I think the video card is better, the chipset is better as well, and I have the SLI option for later, though I did not select an SLI compatible card (they're a lot more).

Since there are problems with SATA (and I really don't want to have a floppy drive from which to install the drivers), I'll probably save myself another ~$130 and just get a regular ATA 7200RPM 80GB drive with the 8MB cache.

You dont need an adapter, mine works fine.
That may be, but if it says it requires 24 pin, I'd rather not take the chance.

Adapters dont have any influence on compatibility in this sense man. They work fine with no problems whatsoever, so you should just get a 20 to 24 pin to be safe. Better safe than sorry right?

uhm your case probably doesn't come with a 24 pin psu. Its not a "non standard", its a new standard. Get a online MB manual for both of those and find out if those MBs requires 24 pin, 20 pin, or either like mine. Its still in a transition so probably won't be a 'required' thing for a year or so. Those extra 4 pins provide extra power for the video card. Still read the manual first, try to do what it suggests.

Adapters dont have any influence on compatibility..... as of right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom