1T, 2T, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
This may sound like a noobish question, but when I change the memory timings from 1T to 2T or auto, what am I really doing? I mean, I understand mostly what all of this is about, but why can't you just set it for the best timing every time?

Memory latency effects stability really, you need to loosen timings as you increase the RAM speed to ensure stability. They have a limited effect on bandwidth, but it's nothing more than a few MB/s.

Ok....how can you say you understand what it's all about....but ask 'what you're really doing' when changing a particular number....that kind of contradicts the previous statement.

but why can't you just set it for the best timing every time?
you DO set it for the best timing...that your RAM is capable of all....cheap RAM isn't going to be able to run the same tight timings as good RAM.

By the way the number you are changing is more than likely the command rate. 1T will offer more performance than 2T, but when going for high OC's, 2T is necessary for stability.

Read this:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3393

scroll down until you see DRAM TIMINGS

I meant that I understand that 1T is faster than 2T and that you are speeding it up and such...but I didn't understand why you didn't always try to run it at 1T instead of sometimes 2T... but obviously for stability reasons. Anyway, thanks a bundle, that helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom