1st Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
It is getting time for a new computer build so I figured this was the perfect time to try my hand at overclocking. I did some research and started in. My specs are in my sig.

Prior to overclocking my cpu idled as 41C and was at 63C when running prime95. I kept bumping the fsb from 200 to 220 (in 5 increments) before I had a error in prime95. A overclock from stock 2.4ghz to 2.6ghz. I bumped the vcore to 1.568 and that got me through the test. My cpu in now running at 68C under stress Which seems a bit hot to me from what I have read. I am using an aftermarket thermaltake cooler and my case is big and roomy with 5 big fans.

I did not make any changes to my RAM timings because I did not really understand them from what I read. They are currently set at 2-3-2-5. Any advantages to changing these?

I do not think I can take the overclock any higher. I did see a 3d05 score increase from 7845 to 7936. I know my system outdated but if I was going to fry a cpu I would rather do it with one that I will be replacing soon.

Am I on the right path? Am I correct that I cannot take it any higher? Am I too hot as is?

Thanks again. This is my first ever overclock and I am a complete noob at this. I appreciate any comments or criticism.

only way you can find out if it is maxed out is if you try to take it higher and additional voltage does not help stabilize it. I would say around 300mhz oc is where they usually stop

Yeah I had to take the vcore up to 1.6 and it is very stable now but idles at 46 and was getting up to 75c under stress. Think I will have to drop the fsb down to around 210 so I can put the vcore back at 1.5 to keep the temps down. I thought my cooler and case would do a better job. I was a bit disappointed.

That voltage is getting near the high side, and those temps are quite hot. You should back that voltage down until you get a good cooler.

Did you change your RAM divider/speed? If not, then your RAM is also being overclocked and that may be why you can't pass prime95.

Thanks I did back the voltage down to 1.5 I am idling at 43C now and under stress I am hitting 64C. Only had it running at 75 for about 1 1/2 hour. I did not change RAM divider/speed. Unfortunately I am a total noob and did not understand any of the RAM settings so I left them at stock. My machine would fail prime95 but I never had a BSOD or anything else to tell me it was unstable. I am just trying to be on the safe side for my first try. Thanks

Failing prime95 means it is unstable. BSOD means it is really unstable.

Depending on your BIOS, the RAM settings will vary. However, look around for DRAM Frequency, or something of the like. You should be able to turn your memory down to like DDR333 or DDR226 speeds, which will give you more overclocking headroom.

Thanks. I dropped the dram down to 266 from 333. Now I have messed around with settings and tests. currently I am at fsb of 215 vcore of 1.525 and it has gone farther on prime than before not passed yet but running at 64C. What is the best socket 939 heatsink? This is fun it is kind of like a little puzzle. I need to cool this chip down to go any higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom