1:1 ratio -- what do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ratio just means how much your ram will overclock to your cpu or vise versa. 1:1 is always the best because it runs your ram and cpu at the same frequency which has always proven to give the best performance, but if you have ram that wont clock as high as your cpu, you can change the ratio to like 5:4 or something to take the stress off the ram and let it clock your cpu, but of course then you lose the speed of your ram which would give slower performance then a 1:1 ratio. thats the best way i can explain it for yea.

Umm. . . last time I checked 1:1 is the same thing as 6:6, isn't it? Or am I just a complete idiot. :D

_OvErClOcKeD_, I think I know what your saying, but like I said, it runs 1:1 with the FSB, not the CPU. The CPU frequency runs much higher than the RAM frequency.

i wonder what's the difference between 1:1 and 6:6. I remember reading from somewhere that 6:6 is better for high fsb overclocking?
That doesn't make any sense at all :confused:

BTW, from what I have read many times now, 1:1 isn't very important on the AMD side of things. It appears very little if no performance loss is incured while running a divider with and AMD system, assuming, your RAM isn't being underclocked as a result. 1:1 is still emphasized on the Intel side, which should be used if at all possible.

1:1 doesn't mean ANYTHING AT ALL as far as A64 systems are concerned. Know that, and never differ.

The reason is that, unlike Intel systems, in A64 systems, there is no FSB. There is the HTT. If there was a FSB, then you would have to run the FSB/MEM ratio at 1:1 because if you didn't, there would be a lag in the communication times between the 2. But because there is no FSB in A64 systems, and because the HTT is not an actual bus (its an artificial clock used to get the CPU Speed) there isn't even any such thing as a 1:1 divider in A64. You do not benefit from running 1:1 against any other ratio. Or you could think of it as, you don't lose any performance from running away from 1:1 ratio.

The only reason you would have to run 1:1 is if you have memory that can support higher clock speeds, and you want it to run faster so you get more bandwidth. But if you memory doesn't OC that far (Corsair ValueSelect) then you can set the divider to 6:5 or 3:2. They will run your memory at a slower speed so you can overclock your CPU farther.

Thats all you should need to know on that topic. I started 2 HUGE threads on the topic on both XtremeSystems and OC Forums, and the conclusion was the same on both.

That doesn't make any sense at all
well it kind of does :D On my XP-M system I could choose from 1:1, 2:2, 3:3, 4:4, 5:5, and 6:6 with various ratios inbetween each

I had it on 6:6 for the hell of it, but don't ask me why they included all ratios which are basically 1:1

For Socket A AMD's 1:1 is the ONLY option for overclockers performance wise. Running any other kind of ratio will lose you performance.

I can choose from 3:3, 4:4, 5:5, and 6:6 on my board. 6:6 is the best for w/e reason, I think it just is the fastest when it comes to dealing with RAM and FSB compared to 3:3 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom