adding new harddrive caused many problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

studly

Beta member
this is going to be a long post sorry in advance.
also with all the changes ive done ive double checked cable and jumper settings which were not the cause of error.

I had my system running just fine with a 120GB HD(western digital) a dvd rom and a dvd burner. I had an extra 120GB (samsung) HD that i decided to add to my computer. I set up my original HD(WD) as master (on primary IDE Channel) and the 2nd HD(samsung) as slave to my master harddrive. When i started up windows it gets into windows and i get an icon that says windows detected a new device (it detects the dvd rom and burner as new devices even though they are not.) and then crashes and restarts. After this i converted all the settings to the same as it was before(with just 1 hd, and the dvd drives). Try to load up windows i get to the same place before windows crashes and trys to restart. Next i took out all devcies except my main HD (the WD one) start up windows and it doesnt crash. I add the 2nd HD as a slave to the master(master = WD). still loads up windows fine. I try to add my dvd rom drives to the mix and it crashes at the same point as above. i try adding one at a time
and each time it crashes at the same point. I now load up windows reinstalled my secondary IDE channel, try to restart and still crashes at same point. I then go into windows and turn off the auto detect feature on my secondary IDE CHannel(the one that my dvd roms are on) and restart my computer (with dvd roms connected) and it loads into windows fine (because windows didnt detect the new hardware). I then try to install it manually and when i try to the system crashes again(during install). I have messed around with this way to much and i am all out of ideas of what to try.

If worse comes to worse could i throw my primary HD (the boot one) data to my new hd. Reformat and reinstall windows on my primary(WD one) and still have the data remain on the 2nd hd and be able to access it?

also why would this happen when all i did was add a new unpartitioned unformated harddrive? why wasnt i able to change it back the the old configuration and still not have it work?

Hmm.... What OS are you running? Is it up to date with the latest patches?

If not, update and try again, let us know what happens.

I have windows xp pro and i also have the latest patches(i double checked on that just now). I have also tried my dvd drives seperate with the jumper on standalone master with no such luck(so im pretty sure its not the jumpers for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom