Looking at servers from DELL for my small business any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCREWDRIVER131

Solid State Member
I am looking into getting a new server for my small business.

there are about 10 computers on the network and we mostly just run quickbooks, outlook and excel.

Any suggestions on a good server at a good price that dell carries?

I'm not real sure yet. I was told I should probably get a server and I know nothing about them so I really need all the advice I can get.

there are 10 computers that need to be connected to this server....right now we have these 10 computers connected to one computer which is mine and then the network router connects everything (printers, fax machines, other computers) and they are all sharing files.

right now all the computers are running real slow and i want to fix that.

well..one thingi that the server would help with that you will want to read into is Directory services(Microsoft's implementation is called active directory)Linux uses LDAP(i'm assuming ur clients are all windows so i'd suggest getting windows server 2003 on the server)I'm going to tell u now that if you decide to do anything with active directory, your clients have to be windows xp pro, windows 2000 pro or the like... the server would provide the shares with shared files and hold and control all user profiles and user accounts.

any questions let me know.

I think you are gonna need to read something, why dont you dig up some stuff on google. "basic server setup". I think you could just buy a regular pc for 10 computers. maybe $800 system or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom